Guns on campus: Texas poised to pass bill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Banjo, Feb 21, 2011.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

In Virginia it means alot of dead students.

In Texas it means a nutball with alot of holes in him when his fellow students shoot back.

#11     Feb 21, 2011
  2. and kills a dozen bystanders. my brother is a high school teacher. i have heard stories. believe me when i say you dont want some of these kids to have access to a gun. sometimes the smallest things will set them off in a rage.

#12     Feb 21, 2011
  3. pspr

pspr

The problem with "gun free" zones is that the criminals and nut jobs don't follow the rules! Those who might otherwise have the means to stop them can't because they do follow the rules. :mad:

#13     Feb 21, 2011
  4. The alternative is to greatly expand the use of lethal arms, this is no longer the 18th century where anyone with a gun had a decent monopoly of power and violence. The constitution is now outdated if the purpose is to be against govt tyranny. Anti aircraft guns and missiles, howitzer guns, claymore mines, RPG's, all these should be fully and easily available. If not you have no chance against modern govt tyranny.

#14     Feb 21, 2011
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

so youre saying the citizenry should be able to purchase advanced technological weaponry?

:confused:

i'm with free tinkerbell here (for once). giving students the ability to bring guns to school will end badly.

#15     Feb 21, 2011
  6. Exactly... The only people who obey gun laws are law abiding citizens. Criminals do whatever the hell they want to do -- including carrying guns anywhere they want to take them.

#16     Feb 21, 2011
  7. Guns on one campus, this non-sense on another. National Civility Institute? WTF is that? Scotty, beam me up!

Univ. of Ariz. starts national civility institute

By ALLEN G. BREED, AP National Writer Allen G. Breed, Ap National Writer – 1 hr 19 mins ago

TUCSON, Ariz. – The University of Arizona announced Monday the creation of a national institute on civility. University officials say the institute was inspired by the Tucson shootings that left U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords severely wounded.

The school says the National Institute for Civil Discourse is a nonpartisan center for debate, research, education and policy generation regarding civility in public discourse.

The university says it was created to advance the national conversation currently taking place about civility in political debate.

The new center will be chaired by former Presidents George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

#17     Feb 21, 2011
  8. Remember they are talking about college students and professors over the age of 21 who have concealed weapons permits.

#18     Feb 21, 2011
  9. Freedom from what?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

#19     Feb 21, 2011
  10. You have schools like the University of Texas where the school is in the middle of the city. An adult with a concealed weapons permit might easily transit from school to other parts of the city on foot and if they have a license to carry a handgun for protection, they would have to leave the gun at home or violate the law for at least part of the day. Another reason this issue came up was in regards to commuter students. Women would sometimes take night classes and during the walk to their car at night face possible attack from rapist. Having to leave her handgun in the car when she is the most vulnerable, even though she has a permit to carry makes no sense.

Remember those bans on handguns for self-defense at Universities and colleges does not just apply to drunk frat boys, it also applies to mature responsible adults many of whom work during the day, sometimes in bad neighborhoods and take classes at night. Why should someone who has qualified for a concealed weapons license, have to be subject to robbery or rape just because they have crossed some imaginary line, that no criminal respects, onto a college campus?

They student who goes crazy and decides to shoot up a college campus or classroom, does not give a shit about the fact that it is against the law to have a gun on campus. When a crazy decides to let loose, I would feel a lot better knowing that someone had the means to stop them quickly, even if that person was not me.

#20     Feb 21, 2011