Gunman's neighbor arrested in NY ambush.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IShopAtPublix, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Yup, I did. I don't know the state and federal laws on gun transfers between private parties. There may not be a requirement that a private seller do a background check on the buyer before selling. Thus, a transfer to a felon after legal purchase by the seller may not be prima facie evidence of a crime.

The article says that she is being accused of lying on the application at the time of the purchases as she was not buying for herself like she stated in the application. According to the article, lying on the application is a federal crime. I'm sure the cops know the requirements of the crime and duly questioned her after making contact, without arrest of course. It's the nice and friendly, "Do you mind if we ask you a few questions...?"

#11     Dec 28, 2012
  2. To me it is not her conviction or lack of thereof that is important but that the gunman got the weapons effortlessly from a "law abiding citizen". If we display the naivete of believing that we only have to worry about crazies/bad people we will never solve gun crime. Straw purchases are a serious problem in this country. Columbine killers got the weapons that way.

#12     Dec 28, 2012
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

This murder once again confirm my view that any gun sale, even a private one, must be done with a background check.

Yes, it will not be too easy to sale a gun that someone owns but, if the owner knows that they will automatically face a jail time for selling a gun to someone without mandatory background check, it will deter most.

Also, hopefully these military grade assault weapons will be made illegal to own.

#13     Dec 28, 2012
  4. As you say, the Columbine kids got their weapons from "straw purchases" but you didn't see their parents arrested or prosecuted because of them.

In this country, what constitutes a crime is a matter of definition. There is also selective prosecution. The dumb gal bought guns that ended up in the hands of her felonious neighbor who killed a couple of firefighters and himself. It's very easy to get guns in this country even for a felon. It is her bad luck they are out to make an example of her because that's what this country is about: sensationalizing the mundane to make a political statement.

#14     Dec 28, 2012
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

Exactly, too many law abiding citizens are careless and/or ignorant. They need to be made aware of consequences of owning a gun with several new laws. This could solve many issues.

#15     Dec 28, 2012
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

How about background checks for private sales of cars as well?

You mean "sell"?
    Just like the jail time they face now for breaking any of 22,000 federal state and local firearms laws deters so many?

Oh puhleeze, enough with that tired old nonsense already. Hey, how about a ban on 9mm handguns?

#16     Dec 28, 2012
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Which issues did the 22,000 federal state and local guns laws we ALREADY have get solved with those laws?

#17     Dec 28, 2012
  8. pspr

pspr

It was a totally foolish thought by FC anyway.

#18     Dec 28, 2012
  9. pspr

pspr

It wouldn't solve shit. Criminals don't read that crap.

#19     Dec 28, 2012
  10. Proving she bought the weapons with the intent to resell them to a known felon is gonna be impossible, save she confesses prior to having counsel.

you rabid antigun nuts are idiots

#20     Dec 28, 2012