Gun control is about Urban vs Rural areas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IShopAtPublix, Dec 19, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I heard someone on NPR say that NYC has relatively low crime rates lately because the police have a policy, something like "stop and search" where they simply stop people walking down the street and search them. The ACLU hates it and has tried to stop it but the NYPD claims it has abated crime considerably.

#41     Dec 19, 2012
  2. Concealed carry and open carry are banned
    -----------------------------------------

I wonder if Mayor Bloomberg's bodygaurds carry a weapon.

-------------------------------

#42     Dec 19, 2012
  3. NYC is special because while it is the biggest city by population it does not lead any single crime category(per capita of course). When compare NYC to cities in states where gun laws are quite lax you start to see things that open your mind.

NYC is safer than Miami or Jacksonville, or Atlanta. You can't attribute it to diversity or random chance. Bear in mind NYC does all of this even while having "da bronx". NYC is a model city for an effective police force considering the city's history ("5 families of NYC")

#43     Dec 19, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I did, and it doesn't change the fact that LA, Phoenix, San Diego and San Antonio are safer than NYC.

#44     Dec 19, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yeah, but not the way you'd like to think.

#45     Dec 19, 2012
  6. Man, your quantitative skills are weak. Let's compare LA to NYC

LA has marginally less "violent crime" 559 vs 581 but has more murders, and man slaughters, twice as many rapes, more robberies, less aggravated assaults, more burglaries, car thefts, property thefts, etc. When a city has more murders, rapes, robberies, burglaries, you don't call it "safer".

San Diego is an affluent city of much smaller size, even there certain categories NYC beats it.

Phoenix has more murders, rapes, and way more property crime. Yet again, NOT SAFER.

#46     Dec 19, 2012
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I was comparing ONLY violent crimes and murders, given we're talking guns here.

And if you start eliminating cities from the short list of ten because they're not "big" enough to suite you. You end up with just NYC to compare to - NYC. Because it's the biggest.

And speaking of "quantitative skills" you and your anti gun buddies have posted a substantiated fact yet that I've noticed. Just myths and talking points from the anti gun lobby. What's up with that?

#47     Dec 19, 2012
  8. Those stats dont breakdown by gun or other instrument. On balance, NYC is SAFER than LA which is what I claimed. Murder and rape are way more serious than aggravated assault so one occurrence of murder is not equivalent to one occurrence of aggravated assault. In violent crimes only category LA is better is in aggravated assault which is less important than rape or murder.

You still don't get the point. NYC is way safer than many cities which are smaller in states with open carry. That phenomenon cannot be explained by your beliefs.

#48     Dec 19, 2012
    #49     Dec 19, 2012
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

I think you're cherry picking stats to avoid admitting you're wrong.

#50     Dec 19, 2012