gun carnage costs the us 100 billion a year.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

As a group they do seem to favor the seemingly easier answers. Can't say as I blame them, so do I, but achieving results is more important.

#21     Jul 27, 2012
  2. that is dwarfed about 100 to 1 by accidential shooting of children in homes where guns are kept. what is a life worth in those cases?

the dynamics change when you use your brain to think critically. its too bad right wingers only think in black and white.

#22     Jul 27, 2012
  3. Most of life's problems really have simple solutions.
    That you cannot handle the solution does not mean the solution does not exist.

#23     Jul 27, 2012
  4. Hey Free Thinker...perhaps you should make a post complaining about swimming pools.

Swimming pools kill more children accidentally than guns, so if you are for protecting the children, you should be trying to get people to ban swimming pools.

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2001/07/27/levittpoolsvsguns/

Now lets see you think critically with that one. :p

#24     Jul 27, 2012
  5. Crispy

Crispy

So the author postulates that domestic gun violence costs us approximately 14.6% of what the entire US governments 2011 military expenditures are? That was 683.7 billion FYI. Which makes the liability 3mm per citizen.

I call bullshit on those massive numbers. And its clearly been chosen for shock factor. A perfectly round 100bn...yup thats the ticket. How can such a study , perfectly implemented, check and re checked dozens of times by bean counters come up with such a round number? I know how. Pure fabrication.

#25     Jul 27, 2012
  6. when you went to bible school to get your education did they ever touch on something called a "strawman argument"?

#26     Jul 27, 2012
  7. You wouldn't know a straw man argument if it bit you.

#27     Jul 27, 2012
  8. Though I've never seen an actual calculation, supposedly about 500 children die each year from accidental shootings. http://www.momlogic.com/2008/08/protect_your_kids_from_guns.php

If there are 40 million homes with guns (last number I heard), then there's an accidental child shooting death in 1 out of every 80,000 homes with a gun.

To prevent each child accidental shooting death, then 79,999 gun owners would have to give up their guns. I don't see that happening short of an absolute gun ban with a door-to-door search of every home in America to clear out every last gun.

Most in-home accidental shooting deaths are easily preventable with basic training and proper gun storage.

I have kids and I have guns. I'm not worried about them getting shot with my guns. I'm much more worried about them being killed by a drunk driver which is 3 times as likely and something I have very little control over.

#28     Jul 27, 2012
  9. Millions of American kids grew up around guns and never had any problems. They were taught how to use them after an apprenticeship with a BB gun. Everyone knew the basic rules, such as there is no such thing as an unloaded gun, so don't point one at your brother. Suddenly, when the nanny state became all powerful, guns were considered about as desirable around the house as a loose cobra and thought to create smilar risks. These days, busy body pediatricians are even quizzing parents demanding to know if they have guns.

The way things are going, responsible parents need to assemble a stockpile of weapons and ammo and teach their kids how to use them, girls and boys. One day that child's ability to use a gun could save your life or the life of a family member. Or, if there's trouble, you could just hope the police are not too busy and the mayor isn't overly concerned about riling up the "community."

#29     Jul 27, 2012
  10. This gets to the heart of the matter. Michael Moore (now don't everyone groan) started his documentary on Colombine by asking "Are we a nation of gun nuts, or just nuts". And he made the very same comparison, juxtaposing the US with Canada, which has a very high gun Ownership rate and much lower gun violence rate compared to the USA.

Off the subject, but, did you know that in the navy (pre-women) if you refered to your rifle as a gun they would make you walk around naked holding your rifle while repeating "This my rifle, this my gun (pointing to one's penis). This is for fighting, this is for fun".

#30     Jul 27, 2012