gun carnage costs the us 100 billion a year.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 27, 2012.

1. When cornered with the facts this is all you have? What you can't dispute is that all these billions aren't being spent because some wanna-be warrior has an AK in his collection. It's spent on mending and/or burying victims of gang violence, extra law enforcement for gang violence and any number of things, all related to gang violence. Your willful ignorance of these facts is staggering.

#11     Jul 27, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Of course it does, but the cat is out of the bag I think.

#12     Jul 27, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

And so it's no longer a consideration in dealing with the problem?

"They already stole one of my cars. Cat's out of the bag. I might as well leave the keys in my other car." :p

#13     Jul 27, 2012
  4. Brass

Brass

When dealing with a flood, you need to first stop more water entering your basement. Then you deal with the remaining water. You, on the other hand, either just want to add more water or pump it out without bothering to stanch the flow.

#14     Jul 27, 2012
  5. Culture plays a big role. Finland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world (30 guns for every 100 residents) and one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the world. The same is true throughout northern Europe.

Gangs are based upon a culture of fear and violence.

#15     Jul 27, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

It's not one or the other imo, but putting most of your effort where it gets the most job done. That would be getting our young people to work again. The UE rate is what, about 14% for "white" young men and nearly twice that for minorities?

#16     Jul 27, 2012
  7. Brass

Brass

I agree that the problem needs to be addressed at both ends, perhaps one more than the other. Just like the deficit. But the Right comprises consummate "uni-taskers." I just wanted to take a moment to point out that surprising detail.

#17     Jul 27, 2012
  8. Arnie

Arnie

What about all the times that guns save lives or prevent crime? I bet if you add that to the equation, there would be a net positive due to guns. I'll give you just one example. A few years ago, before the Virginia Tech shooting, there was another shooting at a law school in Grundy, VA. The shooter was overpowered by a guy that went to his vehicle to retrieve his gun. How much is a life worth? What if he had killed 2 or 3 more?

"We saw the shooter, stopped at my vehicle and got out my handgun and started to approach Peter," Tracy Bridges, who helped subdue the shooter with other students, said Thursday on NBC's "Today" show. "At that time, Peter threw up his hands and threw his weapon down.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3117

#18     Jul 27, 2012
  9. Back in Roman times,I wonder if there was someone like freethinker who would run around and say "We have to ban swords because swords kill people!"

Before that, I'm sure there was some "freethinking" caveman who said "We have to ban rocks and sticks, because those kill people."

The point I am making is, it doesnt matter what you do, people will find a way to kill each other. If that guy from the movie theater didnt have guns, he would've just put together a bomb made from over the counter household cleaning products. Or hell...he might have just did like the romans and used a sword. Point is,if someone has the desire to kill...they will find a way to do it.

#19     Jul 27, 2012
  10. Brass

Brass

Oh, yes, Arnie. That changes the entire dynamic. Right across the board.

#20     Jul 27, 2012