Gump’s, historic S.F. department store, closing after 157 years

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by dealmaker, Dec 21, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gump’s, historic S.F. department store, closing after 157 years
    [​IMG]
    San Francisco’s oldest department store, Gump’s, is closing its doors after 157 years in business. Shoppers rummaged through the iconic store’s remains Thursday, with all items marked down 70 percent to 90 percent off. Gump’s was founded in 1861 as a frame and mirror shop. It transformed itself into an exclusive store, located in the city’s Union Square neighborhood, catering to a clientele that craved engraved note cards, crystal vases, fancy dinner ware and an array of luxury items. (CBS)

2. elderado

elderado

I shopped there for many, many years. The inventory in the actual store was much different than the catalog/website. I tried to purchase online towards the end, for whatever reason the links didn't work and finally I got to the fuckit point. It really was a lovely store but a lot of what they had was available elsewhere. Just one more reason not to have to go to San Fran anymore.

dealmaker likes this.
  3. elderado

elderado

dealmaker likes this.
  4. Liberalism. Destroying all the things that used to make San Francisco great. It really is a shit show there now. Personally, I think it all started when they turned woolworths on Market st into the Gap and Emporium Capwell across the street into a mall. I hear blondies is gone too now.