Gullivers Travels

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Jul 18, 2010.

1. nitro

nitro

That is the biggest problem. There are trailer parks around US and the world, e.g.,

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

You also need to think about protection

[​IMG]

#11     Jul 19, 2010
  2. #12     Jul 19, 2010
  3. Great. Why enjoy the modern amenities and comforts afforded by hard work and discipline when you can live in a shed like a bum. Maybe this guy can "upgrade" to a nice cave someday, or perhaps revert all the way back to living in a tree like our ape ancestors.

Thankfully we won't have to worry about this retard passing on his hippie genes to the next generation. There is no way he's ever getting laid in that thing.

#13     Jul 19, 2010
  4. nitro

nitro

#14     Jul 23, 2010
  5. nitro

nitro

#15     Jul 30, 2010
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

There is a culture out here in the southwest that lives in RVs on government land (BLM land).

I personally have a literal castle on a mountaintop with every conceivable possession known to mankind. And I can't wait to get rid of it all... I long for a simple nomadic life where I can trade on a smaller scale and don't have acres upon acres of stuff.

I've got a certain fascination for these BLM dwellers. Many outfit their RV for incredible off-grid lifestyles with 4kW solar arrays and wind and the rest of it. They keep a P.O. box somewhere and bank online etc. Some tow a small vehicle for running around. I'm not talking about a 2 million dollar bus. Many are just modified travel trailers with enlarged fresh-water storage and electrical capacity.

The idea of being able to live and trade from very very remote wilderness location is appealing to me.

Take the idiots on wall street and dearborne avenue from the woods and then go fishing. Its a noble goal. :)

I'm working on it.

:D

#16     Jul 30, 2010
  7. nitro

nitro

I understand what you are saying 100%. When one lives in a large city for too long without taking frequent time outs to recuperate, what happens imo is that people start to build a kind of psychological allergic reaction to crowds, noise, concrete, etc. No matter where you go these days, they are playing music. Go into a bookstore, music. Elevator, music and commercials. Trains, commercials. Go into a restaurant, music, go into a party, music. Health club, music and tv. Pro football game, music. Cruise, music. Watch TV, endless commercials. Go to a baseball game, more commercials. Drive, commercials, or some moron playing his bass music about 100 decibels too loud.

I have this fantasy of working at the South Pole during winter at a science station, maybe it would be called "Ice Station Zebra" after the famous movie, where I am the only human for 1000 miles and my job is to collect data on some galactic object that is 2,000,000 light years away. All you hear are snow storms, perhaps the sound of wolves, polar bears. At night you go outside and see aurora borealis, and on a clear dark night, a sight full of stars like has never been seen.

Peace, quiet, Zen, stillness. At night power incarnate in the form of the universe. Only nature rustles. If you don't give your soul these things from time to time, you will forever hate big cities, which is what happens to me.

#17     Jul 30, 2010
  8. Are there polar bears at the south pole? - Yahoo! Answers
    Dec 6, 2007 ... The short answer is No. They do not live on Antarctica. Polar bears (Ursus maritimus) live in the Arctic tundra and taiga regions surrounding the ...

#18     Jul 31, 2010
  9. So he lives in a house with wheels. There are lots of people who live in houses with wheels; when they get together, we call them trailer parks.

I was driving around Arizona and stumbled on a small community of snowbirds. In case you don't know, snowbirds are folks who live in RV's and drive south for the winter, and explore our northern states during the summer. I got to chatting with one of the couples.

Technically they were squatting; BLM says you can only stay in one spot for 2 weeks and they stay there all winter, but why bother a couple dozen retired senior citizens. They were just all scattered around in a clearing, one lady had a little yard of astroturf with a little picket fence around it and constantly swept it. Most everybody had an awning with some folding chairs underneath, they played cards and showed pictures of their grandkids and gossiped to pass the days.

It created it's own utilities; for a few pennies a gallon the water truck would come by and refill your drinking water. The "honey wagon" (septic tank truck) would suck out your poop tanks for a few dollars. Some of them had a Toad ("towed" car) and would take turns driving into town for food and supplies. Direct deposit of social security and pension checks, an ATM card, and that's all you need.

At the end of the winter, they would say "see you next year!" and drive off to Canada or Montana or Wisconsin, and come back with new pictures and stories to share with the other old folks. Not a bad life.

#19     Jul 31, 2010
  10. nitro

nitro

Maybe penguins, then, can keep me company?

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MB_GisVFboU"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MB_GisVFboU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

#20     Jul 31, 2010