Guidance for a young investor

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by joarbana, Nov 28, 2016.

1. joarbana

joarbana

So here's the scoop,

I have been involved with investing (well more like speculating) with stocks for about 2 years now. My account is relatively small (bouncing between 1k to 4k) and I've had a few successful trades and a few unsuccessful to go along with it. I tend to get better the more I dive into it, but at the moment I'm currently tied up in DHT which I bought for 4.40 and has plunged to 3.90. So while I wait around for that stock to rebound or make my decision on when to sell I wanted to keep on learning as much as possible about the stock market/bond market.
    I plan on going to school for finance which Is all paid for thanks to the military and pursue a career in Investment/Wealth management. I've read up a lot on the philosophy of investing (a lot of ben graham books) and stuff here and there. I understand stocks/etfs/etns fairly well and am fairly knowledgeable about bonds. Options I understand but I feel like I have so much to learn.
    My question to anyone reading this is what are good resources and reliable places to look for information on todays investing world and where to learn more in depth on things such as options. And what is the best thing I can do now to further expand my knowledge of the investing world. Id also love to learn about how all the taxes work behind it.

So in summary, Moderate knowledge, I just want more in depth. I know how everything works for the most part just not the inner workings of a lot of things.

Thanks!

2. Nice, good luck to you!! Truth is, the more you know about the markets, the more you realize what you do not know. It is a never ending journey of learning and that is what makes the markets so fascinating. Follow only those with proven results overtime, ignore ALL others.

Think or swim has some great option education.

3. Don't major in finance unless you plan to go to a top tier school.
    Even then I would choose math/statistics/comp sci/engineering > finance.

Trust me, I've already followed your would be path. Unless you just love academia and goal is to get your CFA or become an analyst.

4. qxr1011

qxr1011

then shoot to the ivy league school...when there concentrate mostly on networking: strategically thinking who to drink with and who to fuck with...talking about major - most important think is to get high grades than take a difficult major and be behind the class...

in the world of investing most important thing is not what you know but who you know...

invest in people (and start with yourself)....

Southampton likes this.
  5. joarbana

joarbana

Southampton I have come to realize that as time goes on!
    And for the rest of you my plan is to start off at La Crosse WI for the first two years of my degree just to get my feet wet and then move out to new York for schooling. I'm from Wisconsin so with family being close I feel like till take some stress off my back as I make my transition. I have also utilized some programs the military offers for networking and now have a mentor whos the senior president of wealth management at a company which Id rather not state but its a big one. But I want to get a CFA and a series 7. Even an MBA is something Id want to look into. I'm not afraid to spend a long time in school due to the fact Ill be gathering up virtually zero debt for it because of the Post 911 GI bill. I feel the individuals I know in high places may be able to help me along as well and if not I'm not afraid to do anything that is possible to get to where I need to. With school starting next fall I feel as though I may see my options open up with what major I decide to go into as I meet more and more people and learn more and more about the markets. Thank you all!

Southampton likes this.
  6. Nice! A CFA is a noble goal and in finance better than an MBA. Unlike what others have said, finance is a good major if you truly learn it and self teach with a passion. Lots of great professors in finance who have side gigs with funds who can guide you. Keep us informed as to your progress--

7. Smart post-- you are 100% correct

8. xandman

xandman

STEM

Southampton and NoBias like this.
  9. In your opinion-- does finance fit into the STEM paradigm? I am a very old man and back when i was in school i took courses in soething called financial engineering. I think they call that quantatative finance now?

10. Palindrome

Palindrome

Wealth management is 80% sales and 20% wealth management. Your goal is to generate revenue not multiply money.

Knowledge is important and keep learning, that's great but might not equate to abnormal or even above average returns on investment.

Work harder than all of your competition and add a little luck and you will do well. Work ethic can't be learned in books.

I don't know what else to say

#10     Nov 29, 2016