GUI Design for Trading Parameter Configuration

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by clearinghouse, May 25, 2011.

1. LeeD

LeeD

You are welcome!

Alternatively, you may re-consider "custom" serialisation. Whenever you change the list of parameters, old parameters serialized in a file become invalid. When you reach a certain number of parameters, it becomes a lot of hassle to manually enter values of all parameters again. With a custom serialization method you could replace missing parameters with default values... and possibly even hilight parameters that had to be assigned default values in the GUI.

#11     May 25, 2011
  2. note that tradelink has all this stuff

(gui popups plus serialization and restore of properties), plus source code so feel free to look for implementation or use open source product.

#12     May 25, 2011
  3. byteme

byteme

Um, that doesn't really answer the OP's question does it?

#13     May 26, 2011
  4. To his credit, his source code does have examples of some things I'm trying to do.

#14     May 26, 2011
  5. Don't overthink the problem.

OP wants to be able to change variable (parameter) values without recompiling and add parameters with a minimum of hassle.

The usual progression:
    console app with hardcoded parameters
    console app reading stdin/cin
    console app reading a file with notepad sharing the file
    console app reading an XML file with editor sharing the file
    fancy Windows app with plugins that use reflection

In one hour, you can modify your code to accept inputs from the keyboard and redirect the input to come from a file. That should last you many years.

cin >> param1

c:> myapp < c:\somefile.txt

#15     May 27, 2011
  6. I believe reflection is a pretty standard technique for C# application (I think you can do the same in Java) these days.

#16     May 28, 2011
  7. I believe reflrection is a standard technique for C# programs these days, see attached screenshot (I think you can do the same in Java).

#17     May 28, 2011
  8. I appreciate that we have some vendor support here: TradeLink, OpenQuant, but you guys need to read the post.

#18     May 28, 2011
  9. I think what we suggest is to port the code to C++.NET (use Mono if you want to run it on Linux or Apple. I've checked Mono again recently and it seems like they are doing well with Novell support) and use .NET reflection to be able to access parameters on the fly.

OpenQuant (and other trading programs like NT, RE, TL) screenshot just shows what you can get in the end.

Cheers,
    Anton

#19     May 29, 2011
  10. Eight

Eight

umm... sorry to take a thread off path.. I might not be the only one with the same question though. If anybody wants to reply you have my heartfelt thanks...

What would be the best venue to learn programming to the point where I could understand the thread? To where I could write software like the OP is doing? I write scripts in the various forms of C and have done Easy Language, easy enough to self learn but I'm stuck now like a Blues Guitar guy that can produce a song or two but doesn't read music...

#20     May 30, 2011