Guess Who said this....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Babak, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Babak

Babak

Can you guess who said this (below)?

(if you are going to google it don't put the answer up here -- let others guess)

When business in the United States underwent a mild contraction in 1927, the Federal Reserve created more paper reserves in the hope of forestalling any possible bank reserve shortage. More disastrous, however, was the Federal Reserve's attempt to assist Great Britain who had been losing gold to us because the Bank of England refused to allow interest rates to rise when market forces dictated (it was politically unpalatable). The reasoning of the authorities involved was as follows: if the Federal Reserve pumped excessive paper reserves into American banks, interest rates in the United States would fall to a level comparable with those in Great Britain; this would act to stop Britain's gold loss and avoid the political embarrassment of having to raise interest rates. The "Fed" succeeded; it stopped the gold loss, but it nearly destroyed the economies of the world, in the process.

The excess credit which the Fed pumped into the economy spilled over into the stock market-triggering a fantastic speculative boom. Belatedly, Federal Reserve officials attempted to sop up the excess reserves and finally succeeded in braking the boom. But it was too late: by 1929 the speculative imbalances had become so overwhelming that the attempt precipitated a sharp retrenching and a consequent demoralizing of business confidence. As a result, the American economy collapsed. Great Britain fared even worse, and rather than absorb the full consequences of her previous folly, she abandoned the gold standard completely in 1931, tearing asunder what remained of the fabric of confidence and inducing a world-wide series of bank failures. The world economies plunged into the Great Depression of the 1930's.

2. Greenspan?

3. Vinny Gigante?

4. :D :D :D lol

5. without cheating, alan greenspan? :D

6. Babak

Babak

anymore guesses? :)

7. Mr. Market....He's huge you know....Cmon already....

8. Babak

Babak

9. i was just guessing but it makes sense...the funny thin is his comments about the stock market of 27 and the causes ect.....

I've always loved the old Joe Kennedy line about how he knew it was time to get out of the market in '27: "i was getting my shoes shined and the shoe shine guy was going over his stock portfolio with me and telling me what he liked and asking my opinion"

Good article though

10. this cannot be true - everyone knows there is no hypocrisy in government. :cool:

#10     Feb 6, 2003