GS trading job

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by JCS, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Another poster who gets it.

etile, more you post, more you just sound like a name whore.

You sound like those kids who work at BestBuys but buy hundred dollar jeans and drive a brand new, pimped out BMW because it's all about the "image."

It's all this "look at me, look what I drive" attitude, which is very similar to what etile, you are saying with GS, sort of like, "look where I work!"

It's not always about going to the best school and working for the best company, where this criteria of "best" is purely society-driven.

A school that may be the best for some may not be the best fit for others.

Same with work. GS may be right place for some people, but it's not for many other people. You don't just take the job just because of their name.

Sorry OP for continuously thread jacking here.

Please get your degree first if you are interested in getting a job at one of the investment banks because that 74% return means nothing to them.

#41     Apr 3, 2008
  2. what does a degree have to do with trading?

#42     Apr 4, 2008
  3. etile

etile

Please stop typing. You come at me with a predisposition and you won't come off it no matter what.

Stop with the Ad Hominems.

PLEASE READ WHAT I HAVE TYPED. YOU DONT READ.

Let me put it this way: if Person X didn't care for all the money and the stress that a job at GS entails, then a job at GS was NEVER really a viable option to person X in the first place.

****------>BUT ALL ELSE EQUAL<------****, a trading job at GS or ANY broker/dealer, fund is better on all levels than any prop firm. Futhermore, what do you honestly think person X would more likely regret later in life?

"Dang, I should have taken that Prop firm job over GS"

or "I should have taken that GS job over Prop trading"

#43     Apr 4, 2008
  4. ABC firm and XYZ firm have identical parameters in terms of training, management, leverage, commissions, you name it-- whatever, ect ...

Society has apparently chosen ABC as the "Home Coming Queen" of trading or shall we say the "Ivy league" Institution of trading for all those who seem more interested in ramping up their resume as opposed to being focused on the bottom line.

ABC is a stressful corporate drone environment where long hours are worked and office politics and shenanigans roam about.

XYZ allows you to trade remotely in the comfort of your own home and make your own hours...basically self-employment.

You are already a successful trader who is not worried about failing (hence breaking out your resume yet once again) You are also not in need of any handholding or spoon feeding i.e. you know exactly what you are doing.

Do you choose ABC or XYZ?

#44     Apr 4, 2008
  5. etile

etile

jesus. even after I put all those arrows and CAPS OF ALL ELSE EQUAL, some of you guys still don't read. Wow.

You know what, you're right, some of you are better off at a prop firm.

#45     Apr 4, 2008
  6. By any chance...was the reading comprehension test at GS written by you?... I guess thats why I didnt pass it :) though they did tell me that I could trade for them if I agree to wear the "Tommy Hillfiger" Shirt and take a paycut.

Now if YOU WERE READING then you would of noticed that the first sentence in my last post and your "CAPS OF ALL ELSE EQUAL" are one and the same in meaning. Its what you conclude afterwards-- whereby we disagree.

Finally!...
    Glad you could finally admit that. Not everyone cares to wear the "Tommy HillFiger" shirt even when given the opportunity to do so. You on the other hand seem to have no problem sacrificing your independent freedom in order to do that.
    (which is totally fine because thats your value system and it works for you) Some of us are more intrested in just MAKING MONEY while keeping that freedom.

#46     Apr 4, 2008
  7. if you do actually have an interview with GS, let us know how it goes. probably plenty of brainteasers

#47     Apr 4, 2008
  8. I actually got done interviewing with GS for trading. It was probably the easiest interview of all the banks, no brainteasers at all. I got the most brainteasers from Merrill.

Oh well, it just depends on who interviews you...

#48     Apr 4, 2008
  9. rosy2

rosy2

you dont know what trading really is then. scalping intraday stocks/futures is not what anyone who makes money does.

#49     Apr 5, 2008
  10. RL8093

RL8093

While I mean no disrespect, it is difficult for me to fathom the premise inherent in your statement:

A degree is a requirement to trade in any possible way that cannot be automated.

If my interpretation of your statement is accurate, I think you vastly overestimate the value that comes with a sheepskin. I'm not saying there is no value in education (far from it) but an observant, motivated individual can learn price action and become a very profitable trader w/o the 'benefit' of a degree.... (as many successful, non-degreed traders have shown (Mark Minervini being the 1st of many to come to mind)).

R

#50     Apr 5, 2008