GS Superday

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Eyez, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Eyez

Eyez

Gotcha. A FO role for S&T at GS is completely irrelevant to trading or the career trader section. Makes sense. I don't think I have the ability to entertain such a superior individual such as yourself. Maybe google can help you out in that regard.

#51     Jul 15, 2013
  2. Ah HA HA HA HAA!

#52     Jul 15, 2013
  3. Let me say here, you will go in looking like a lamb. A lamb that must grow sheep hair for its cotton wool to be worth anything. You are going to be working with sheep for sheep skin of nothing and a sheep for your master.

We will cut the wool, spoil the wine, and bear no burning to the oil so that it may burn the hair off your back every microsecond at a time.

#53     Jul 15, 2013
  4. Congratulations, Eyes. Take the job, learn the craft, make the connections and the world is yours. surf

#54     Jul 15, 2013
  5. lwlee

lwlee

I did 2 rounds, both in person. I was working at Lehman at the time. Banks give preference to "stealing" active employees of the competition so I guess I had an advantage.

I would feel optimistic if they're willing to do a third round with you.

#55     Jul 15, 2013
  6. lwlee

lwlee

Funny thing you say that, the reason why I left GS was to go independent, doing contracting work. By that point I had been in the industry as a full timer for 12 years, I just wanted a change.

It wasn't 12 hours day. That's on the IB side. Programmers did usual hours but then again, most programmers did not partake in the big bonuses. When I was there, the avg bonus (per employee) was $500k, I didn't see close to that, even though I was at the VP level. Even my hiring manager (director in charge of 30 people) had to threaten to take an outside offer before they gave him just the average.

While I definitely have come to the same conclusion about less work, the fact is that when you are young and starting to build a resume, you have to put in the work and effort. Very few people are fortunate enough to find an easy high-paying job.

#56     Jul 15, 2013
  7. Nice story lwlee.

I knew Pete's bro, John from my time in Omaha. LOL.

The four of us used to begin the day in NYC at the Links Club (across from the Metropolitan)

Lunch was usually at the University Club. Pete often shared his chauffer (who was dating Eartha Kitt at the time.)

These days Dave Walker gets most of Pete's time. Dave left the GAO to run the foundation.

There was always this fight about whether I was just humanistic or altruistic. Giving money away all the time makes a person look funny to others.

It is my belief that Pete spent most of his time keeping CEO's out of jail. GS ex's really had it in for Pete.

I bet they (GS) grilled you a lot about his nifty ways of dong workarounds.

Congrats on your tour with Pete.

#57     Jul 15, 2013
  8. Bumpity bump

#58     Jul 27, 2013
  9. Eyez

Eyez

Start on the 29th :cool:

#59     Jul 27, 2013
  10. Good job.

Don't let GS steal personal proprietary codes from you, that is advice I hope you heed.

I could replace proprietary with property and it wouldn't be any different.

Don't hang on ET when you're working.

Good luck.

#60     Jul 27, 2013