GS Superday

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Eyez, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Eyez

Eyez

So far here's my update: I got called back for another group and spent about 5 1/2 hrs there today. I received positive feedback (less than an hour ago) and they want me back there next week.

Anyone have any idea of what may be involved next week?

#31     Jul 12, 2013
  2. [​IMG]

#32     Jul 12, 2013
  3. Eyez

Eyez

lol.. but seriously.. does anyone know?

#33     Jul 12, 2013
  4. You'll interview with a director.

#34     Jul 12, 2013
  5. Eyez

Eyez

I actually did that already. I had a 1hr+ conversation with the MD of the group today and 30-45 mins each with 3-4 other VPs.. anything else come to mind?

#35     Jul 12, 2013
  6. If they want you back (after the MD interview) then you have the job. Congrats.

#36     Jul 12, 2013
  7. lwlee

lwlee

Brain teasers interviews can be a joke. I've been in that situation before, where they don't bother asking any technical questions specific to the job and just seem to throw hard brain teasers at you. Back in the early 2000s, I had an interview with Interactive Brokers in Connecticut. I thought it would be cool to work with the guys who created TWS. I remember I had really good repartee with the first guy who I think was the hiring manager but then they gave me a piece of paper with like 10-15 brain teasers. The only problem was it dealt with stuff like calculating volume and measuring space, geometry and algebraic equations. Only problem, they didn't bother giving me the formulas! I told them an interview like that favored the recent graduates since they probably took courses with that stuff. They said they would take that into consideration. Never heard back from them.

When you are looking for seasoned programmers, I think the breadth and depth of the APIs that they have worked with is much more important. It takes time/experience to be able to master those tools that a beginner, no matter how brilliant, needs to be able to go through. Having passed a bunch of certifications is no replacement for actual experience.

I worked at GS for 2 years in the prime brokerage IT group. I didn't have to deal with brain teaser issue since my background matched the job. But I had to go through the interview grilling. Out of all the financial companies I've been and I've been with them all, GS had the brightest people I ever meet. It has a lot to do with their interview process.

#37     Jul 12, 2013
  8. They were just figuring out how to cut you and who is going to get the short straw to cut you.

#38     Jul 15, 2013
  9. Eyez

Eyez

Yea, because I am so sure you've gone through the process. :D

#39     Jul 15, 2013
  10. Eyez

Eyez

How many rounds? I did the phone, 5+ hr in person and called in to go again this week.. did you have a 3rd round? anything come up there or is this a offer meeting? I am surprised I haven't gotten more (serious) responses to my question regarding the 3rd round on 'elitetrader' but over 2.5k+ views... says a lot

#40     Jul 15, 2013