GS Superday

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Eyez, Jun 20, 2013.

1. I'm not trying to take you down shoulda coulda avenue. But, maybe this can help someone in the future.

If I was interviewing, I'd rather know that the human capital has a creative ability to attack problems. I think the default answer of "I don't know but I know how to find the answer." could have applied if you were asked for yesterday's close of crude and did not know it. In such a case, you do not have a required input. However, you were given the inputs. Imagine if you would have stood up and walked over to the drawing board and wrote out your problem and solved it, just as you would have given a test. Knowing how to solve a problem because you have done it over and over is different than being able to tackle a new problem. Two different skills, if that makes any sense.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate these guys regardless of their age. They are trained to go after what they are looking for. It wouldn't be surprising if you had figured out the answer to the taking out two numbers problem, if they would have thrown another random variable into the mix, just to see the way you think under pressure.

If GS has done their research, which I'm assuming they have, then they know that regarding interviews, behavioral type questions are highest related to success/failure outcome. While you think that you were not asked any programming questions, it might be that you really were.

Let's say there are two guys. One guy only knows how to do a problem if he's taught how to do it. The other has the ability to problem solve. Two different things isn't it? It might be that you missed an opportunity to demonstrate skill.

Again, I'm not trying in any way to be critical towards you. If you or anyone can take anything from this post, then do it. Otherwise this message wasn't intended. I'm just thinking out loud here.

#21     Jun 28, 2013
  2. Eyez

Eyez

Yea I pretty much blanked on that answer.. but given more time to think about it I realize I could have done it with simple quadratic formula and substitution. I was overthinking.

#22     Jun 28, 2013
  3. stepan7

stepan7

Good Luck!

#23     Jun 28, 2013
  4. emg

emg

they are looking for heros. they want rocket scientist and not losers

#24     Jun 28, 2013
  5. Think they asked something like this in Kindergarten.

I asked the bitch to let me count on the number line...so I turned around and told her what the answer was... she wanted to hold me back, and that's how young I was with my peers.

The reason they don't like this answer is because it means you could get it from someone else and you don't appear to be independent.

#25     Jun 28, 2013
  6. Sorry, I'm laughing because the quad form is such a great manipulator of the answer you seek, I'd like to use it to statistically arbitrage the market, and get GS as a client, not work for them.

#26     Jun 28, 2013
  7. There's nothing wrong with silence, and they might prefer it, actually.

If you were timed as you might have been, then, yes, it's overthinking, but moreso if there wasn't a time limit, take your time. They'd be impressed if you sat there and ended up giving a correctly responded to answer and a correct response.

edit: If you don't remain calm with reasonable eye contact, though, this will backfire.

#27     Jun 28, 2013
  8. So true, but that still doesn't mean everyone loses, EMG. (And, in EMG's world, you're either a Rocket Scientist or a Loser, so I'm a hero in EMG's eyes. Yay). Your percents for failure are wrong depending on what the statistics categorized for were trading, and I wish your posts were more up to date on this.

Eyez, if my app were handwritten, there would never be any consideration, so be that as it may, have fun on Superday and pretend you just made GS $10 million just by showing up... a lot of athletes appear this way when they finally... um, get a contract that big? Know the offer's that large? Think they can impress to that sum for one person's risk? Your risk is not theirs, so be respectful somehow to the time they took to get you there and talk to you. I'm sure recruiters don't like you to know that it costs a fairly nice lunch to choose who they ought to know, but when you don't know if you don't know, I can tell you that the Indian especially knew you didn't know and otherwise the other dude was poorly dressed.

Hacking Yahoo's data network in Python meant scanning the page for one number, then building a trading method that didn't just trade to a million dollars and stop, but that there was so many more things I could have done with it, that I realized that that was the sort of thing that you do coding wise for those companies, and particularly if you use this as an example, I know that you know so I think this'll be a boost for your Eyez.

#28     Jun 28, 2013
  9. Eyez

Eyez

Are you working there? :D

#29     Jun 29, 2013
  10. You have something they like, or they wouldn't be talking to you.

Demonstrate it.

Just take that job. Own it.

Best of luck to you for the next round!

#30     Jun 29, 2013