GS Superday

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Eyez, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Eyez

Eyez

I had a similar experience during the phone screen. I was confused and thought I did horrible; and then they called me in for super day. So who knows. Interview was shorter than expected (not the full 6 hours as stated) and people say the longer it is the better you're doing.. so I don't know what to expect. I have another ringer coming up (either next week or the week after) for another department at GS so who knows. Hopefully I deal with guys who aren't complete tools.

I know how to code and develop trading software. Not figuring out how to answer the question in the way they want the answer. Kinda unrealistic imo

#11     Jun 22, 2013
  2. Eyez

Eyez

I didn't apply. Head hunter reached out to me because GS short-listed my resume from their database

Also, I did answer that way, but then he asked what about if it was 2 numbers. And I didn't have the answer off the top of my head. I remember briefly seeing that question a few years ago.. I knew where to find the answer :x

#12     Jun 22, 2013
  3. funny story trading in NG was interviewing some guy; I swear this guy was a meteorologist or something....and my desk was right across from the conference rooms they were interviewing this poor soul; it must have been 13 plus people and 5 plus hours later they were still grilling this guy - it was a joke - the bigger the firm - these interview processes can get way out of hand - any more than 5 people is a massive waste of time.

The irony is how much time and resources a firm will put into selecting and training a chap, and cut ties in a heartbeat.

Most HR people are complete morons: No offense but the best and brightest are not working in HR at any company. I have heard one GS HR rep speak, she was an AA lady, absolutely dumb as a rock!

#13     Jun 22, 2013
  4. nitro

nitro

I would "weigh" the numbers before and after. The difference in the weight is your answer. "Weigh" just means sum before and after. If there could be more than one number taken out, the problem would be more interesting.

The sum of the weighted average of the expectancy of each face coming up, divided by the number of faces, minus the cost of entering the game, traveling to it, and whatever my utility is to sit there and waste my time for my expected gain in repeated trials.

#14     Jun 22, 2013
  5. nitro

nitro

Best practices for programming is a moving target, depending on the model of programming you subscribe to. Good answers are things like documentation, pair programming, patterns, unit testing, design to problem and specification, portability, code reuse, source control, maintainability, optimization, lifecycle. algorithm big(O), etc etc.

Each one of those "best practices" goals comes down to two one thing, reducing the number of defects in code that needs to run optimally, and the ability to understand the code yourself and anyone else on a team that has to maintain the code base. Correctness and Readability.

As far as the comment about "playing with java/c++", understanding that programming is a never ending art form and science, my answer would have been that I would be lucky to help those that know less than I do, and would hope that I could learn from those that know more than me. If I went to work on systems I already know I could do, I would not be challenged and programming would become a job instead of the pure pleasure it is to me to get better every day.

#15     Jun 22, 2013
  6. Eyez

Eyez

All I'm saying is that they discounted my entire ability to code because of the statement I made; "You know, I don't remember all the details off the top of my head, but I know where to look to find the answer."-- While never asking me any questions regarding comp sci/java/c++.

#16     Jun 22, 2013
  7. They care most about your analytical abilities, and - depending on the role - the ability to think on your feet. That is why they didn't ask specific coding/language questions.

The depth of, and thought that went into your answers, and your description of how you solve the problem is more important to them, as textbook C++/Java coders are a dime a dozen these days and it is very difficult to recruit good people. It's just plain hard to know who can cut the mustard and who can't.

Not saying their approach is the best though. We give our guys a computer and a task and expect them to have it completed by a certain time. Then we "chat".

#17     Jun 22, 2013
  8. Pipflow

Pipflow

All the best. :)

#18     Jun 27, 2013
  9. stepan7

stepan7

Did you got hired?

#19     Jun 27, 2013
  10. Eyez

Eyez

Going back next week for another round