GS shareholders not happy :)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Insiders are unloading shares left and right, but giving themselves record bonuses at the expense of shareholders.

Dividend yield on the stock is a joke (0.84)

I wonder if anything will come of this.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34252700

Goldman Sachs Group is meeting with major investors in an effort to head off a possible investor backlash over its record bonuses, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

2. Of course they deserve their extreme bonuses, they took one of the world's largest banks/investment banks/who knows what kind of bank from being insolvent in march of this year to having their best quarter in recorded history in less than 6 months. :confused: That is what I call a swing.

They are almost godlike and deserved to be paid as such. Is there anything anybody could do about this if they wanted to? NO

3. The path to prosperity is taxpayer cash, quickly converting to a regular bank, and changing the accounting rules. There we go! Easy!

4. the1

the1

I think he was being sarcastic, at least I hope he was.

5. sprstpd

sprstpd

And yet they would no longer exist if not for government intervention.

6. Chagi

Chagi

I can't blame the shareholders, one would think that Goldman board should have a fiduciary duty to the shareholders. I understand this whole "pay for performance" concept, but at some point you also need to reward your equity investors.

7. I would not be surprised to see a slow or medium rate bleed on the stock as common shareholders figure it is time to get out while the getting is good.

The type of behaivor you are seeing (insiders selling shares as fast as they can, the enron cowboy attitude with bonuses and we are the smartest people in the room attitude)

Is not exactly going to reassure longterm equity holders. Insider selling of common and record bonuses is usually a bad sign.

Little Deja Vu

The Enron Corporation paid its executives huge one-time bonuses last year as a reward for hitting a series of stock-price targets ending in 2000 -- the very time, investigators now say, when corporate officials were improperly inflating the company's profits by as much as a billion dollars.

The bonus payments and other special cash distributions include some $320 million paid just 10 months before Enron's collapse into bankruptcy, according to company records. Legal experts said that the payments could provide strong evidence of a motive for the financial machinations that investigators think distorted the company's reported performance and ultimately led to its demise. Without those efforts, the profit and stock price levels required to obtain the money almost certainly would not have been reached.

Details of the bonuses -- as well as other payments totaling more than $432 million made to almost 2,000 corporate executives during the two years before Enron's collapse -- are described in spreadsheets and data maintained on the corporate computers, information that has been obtained by federal prosecutors. Copies of the spreadsheets were also obtained by The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/01/b...ation-enron-paid-huge-bonuses-01-experts.html

8. the loser sucker piker shareholders are getting what they deserve for investing with one of the greatest douchebaag scumball organizationsa in america

9. pitz

pitz

Why would shareholders be happy with this company? Or any company in the financial sector?

Shareholders get about $700 million or so. Employees get $17 billion in bonuses that the company is not contractually obligated to pay, in a labour environment where every worker could be replaced tomorrow at half price.

10. joe4422

joe4422

The main point is that they would be bankrupted if it weren't for government intervention, nothing to spectacular about that.

#10     Dec 3, 2009