GS, Buy or Stay Away?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Softgiant, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Not an I bank but A Andersen, the accounting firm.

#71     May 1, 2010
  2. #72     May 1, 2010
  3. Salomon. Went from top dog to bit player in a few years due to reputational problems. Buffett was in there too, he's the main reason they didn't go from top dog to insolvent.

#73     May 1, 2010
  4. Ok, A Andersen and Salomon. I wasn't aware that Salomon's rep had taken that much of a hit. Thanks for the responses.

Just read the Buffet bio (the shorter one by Lowenstein, not that 1000 page behemoth) and it was interesting to read about the moves which surrounded his Salomon rescue.

I agree with those who say that from a trader's perspective, the percentage play long is to wait for a deeper selloff, with some sort of higher volume blowout day.

#74     May 1, 2010
  5. corbel

corbel

This.

Good advice by the way; I'm going to write this one down and post it on my wall

#75     May 3, 2010
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Agreed! That was a good post!

For those who use Vectorvest, they've been thumbs down on GS.(I know, VV has some cheesy ads, and some people like them, some don't, etc., but they were right on the call.)

#76     May 4, 2010
  7. corbel

corbel

incoming ban!

#77     May 14, 2010
  8. #78     May 18, 2010
  9. #79     May 18, 2010
  10. Goldman’s plans appear to have sent city and state officials into giddy ecstasy. They quickly agreed to give the company a hundred and fifteen million dollars in tax breaks and cash grants to build the new tower. More singular still, state and local governments decided to give the firm another big subsidy by letting it use $1.65 billion in tax-exempt Liberty Bonds, intended to stimulate economic development after 9/11, to cover part of the building’s $2.1-billion cost. Last month, Goldman announced that it had made a profit of nearly three and a half billion dollars in the first quarter of this year—enough to have paid for the entire building, in cash, in a couple of months, without any help from taxpayers.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/skyline/2010/05/17/100517crsk_skyline_goldberger#ixzz0oKNkd3iB

#80     May 18, 2010