Growing up Catholic

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by flytiger, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Best excuse/reasoning about why this abuse stuff happened, and it's been happening for a long, long time, came from a psychologist who opined :

Many pedophiles realize they are sick, and think if they can attain, Priest hood, these perversions will be purged by God. Of course, all that happened, was the temptations were multiplied, and they now had the power to act on those temptations.

Anybody got any other thoughts on this? It has puzzled me for along time.

#31     Jul 16, 2007
  2. fhl

fhl

Don't think the opinion has any merit. The same reasoning could be applied to every sin. The entire priesthood would be nothing but a bunch of every type of sin there is. (now is the time for joke:) )

What that psychologist and perhaps others are still not aware of is how God delivers. He does it by faith, not by the good works of attaining priesthood or anything else. Those who wish God to purge them and "they'll believe it when they see it", are just looking for some abara-cadabara magic act. That's not the way God works.

#32     Jul 16, 2007
  3. Doesn't mean the opinion has no merit. He was explaining "why". "The way God works", whatever that is, is not what these people thought, or thought they knew when they signed up.

The question was, why. Why is it so rampant??? I mean, have you seen the list of what has already been paid. From sea to shining sea..... This stuff was going on everywhere. Why?

#33     Jul 16, 2007
  4. In the late 40's 50's, there were many throwaway street kids. These were children abused and kicked out by two generations of war veterans.
    These were homeless kids, with no future. The church in a sense tried to "save" these kids, take them in to the priesthood, get them off the street.

Abused kids grow up to be abusers without treatment. There was no treatment (as we know it today) within the church or social services help from the gov't for that matter.

Predetor stats within the church are within the norms of the general population, so it is not as if predators clustered within these organizations. Yes, I'm sure one might consider it a haven for abusers and that does happen just as one robs a bank because that is where the money is.

I am not defending any position just writing that there is another side to this story and that is: abused kids grow up to be abusers. It makes no difference if you are a priest.

#34     Jul 16, 2007
  5. And it goes back, documented, to the thirties, and you could see where it's three squares a day and nice clothes. Thanks. I think we'll find there are many reasons, but it sure seems like it's more than the norm. Isn't it surprising noone has written extensively on this?

#35     Jul 16, 2007
  6. fhl

fhl

As I said, I don't think his "why" has merit.
    Where are all murderers, thieves, etc.?

Homosexuals going into the priesthood can get a cover for not being married, have a lot of homosexual friends as colleagues, and be exposed to and have authority over lots of young men. It all seems to fit together rather well to me. Maybe there's more to it than that, but I don't see it.

#36     Jul 16, 2007
  7. Excellent point. But are homosexuals pedophiles by nature? I don't know - I 'm asking. These people are predominately pedophiles which makes them homosexual.

#37     Jul 16, 2007
  8. "But are homosexuals pedophiles by nature?"

No. Different dynamics. For example, a pedophile cannot relate to adults. They are socially immature. So it's not specific to a gender preference issue.

#38     Jul 16, 2007
  9. A woman showed up. First I had ever seen. Helen Miller, 48, said she had 19 jobs and three divorces caused by the trauma of molestation.

She said as a teenager, a deacon chanted Gregorian chants while molesting her.

I've heard some wacked out Palm Beach stories, but this takes the communion host.

#39     Jul 17, 2007
  10. Unresolved issues = destiny

#40     Jul 17, 2007