Growing up Catholic

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by flytiger, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature... Carl Sagan

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" Epicurus

#21     Mar 9, 2007
  2. Some people may trust in God, but I certainly don't trust ANYONE who works for him."

Very good.
    I don't think I'm an atheist, and I like people of faith, if they don't push it on me. Most people need it to stay in line. W/o it, they don't behave. Opiate of the masses??? More than likely.

Ever seen the research of Lawrence Kohlberg?

And what happened to Catholic stories.???

#22     Mar 9, 2007
  3. jem

jem

Carl Sagan has knowlege that God does not exist and he makes that statement just prior to saying a mind should look at the world objectively and fearlessly. Is that an attempt at comedy.

Those like Epicurus who attempt to put God a box with poor logic must suspect there really is a God.

JEM

#23     Mar 11, 2007
  4. I went to Catholic grammar school, high school and college. Never saw much in the way of "corporal" punishment or homo's. Mostly commie type stuff. I was exposed to guitar masses and social justice protests. :)

The curriculum at my schools was actually much more unorthodox (no pun intended) and out of the box than public schools. Any one who's received a Jesuit education can attest that those guy's are VERY provocative...

#24     Mar 11, 2007
  5. So, LA has to pay 660mm. Good for the people who had to endur such life-altering humiliation.

I wonder if I can get a few bucks for them just generally fucking up my life??

#25     Jul 16, 2007
  6. 5th grade. Sister Margret-Mary. 6'5' with Habit. Morning prayers in classroom.

The kid in front of me, stands with perfect posture, hands folded properly, recites the prayers without error. Always singled out as a good example.

One morning during prayers I'm standing behind him and haul off and kick him right square in the ass. "Here's to your perfect everything".

After prayers, of course, he tells the nun. The nun calls me up to the front of the class. Makes me face the class and asks me, if I kicked Timmy, I admit it in front of the class. Then she hauls off and kicks me in the ass. I'm sure my feet left the floor. Oh well.

#26     Jul 16, 2007
  7. Same class, same nun.

We had these desks where you put your books underneath the seat. This slobby slow kid, John, has got his papers half hanging out, everything is mixed up, he was just a messy guy.

Sister is pissed during desk inspection. She tells John to get out of his seat. She picked his desk up over her head and shakes it. All these papers are floating around everywhere, I am laughing my ass off (out loud) so Bill in the desk next to me starts laughing. She tells us to get up, picks our desks up and shakes them over her head, now everyones papers are all mixed up.

#27     Jul 16, 2007
  8. Same class, same nun. Five of us went in the bathroom and reversed our shirts and ties. We put them on backwards and tied each others ties and went back to class like everything was ok. That did not turn out well.

She sent us back to the bathroom to change and we decided to see how far we could stand away from the wall urinals and "squirt", we are pissing all over the floor. We left the bathroom door open and the nuns heard all this laughter and see's us from the hall, they went nuts looking for the janitor to come in and make us stop.

#28     Jul 16, 2007
  9. You know, I always wondered what was wrong with you.:D

#29     Jul 16, 2007
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

i thought you were going to refrain from the molestation thing...:D

#30     Jul 16, 2007