Growing up Catholic

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by flytiger, Mar 8, 2007.

1. I had a high school teacher we all adored. He said one day "how many of you believe?" or something to that effect. A bunch of us raised our hands. He said, "good for you. I envy you."

I didn't know what he meant. I do now.

I truly resent the Catholic "religion", but not as much as some. It's made me fearful, resentful, and when I see what they've done to so many, bitter. Can you tell.???

#11     Mar 9, 2007
  2. I feel your pain. Took me a long time to know the difference between organized religion and spirituality. And that was not being a beat up Catholic, just beat up by life in general. I honestly don't know how the "church" stays in business, and it's damn sure a business.

#12     Mar 9, 2007
  3. "Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions". Blaise Pascal

#13     Mar 9, 2007
  4. I think this sums up most atheists in my view:

"He was an embittered atheist, the sort of atheist who does not so much disbelieve in God as personally dislike him."

George Orwell

#14     Mar 9, 2007
  5. In other words:

“A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.”

Francis Bacon, Sr.

#15     Mar 9, 2007
  6. "Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#16     Mar 9, 2007
  7. "All thinking men are atheists."Earnest Hemingway

#17     Mar 9, 2007
  8. This quote is true. However, it would not be the strong argument of an atheist, unless that "atheist" were of the type mentioned in the Orwell quote. It definitely does not disprove God, but it does prove a disdain for the believer.

Here are a couple of great quotes that really show the paradoxical nature of most atheists:

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. --Mohandas Gandhi

Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist. --C. S. Lewis

#18     Mar 9, 2007
  9. "Some people may trust in God, but I certainly don't trust ANYONE who works for him."

The fool says in his heart: 'There is no God.' The Wise Man says it to the world. Troy Witte

#19     Mar 9, 2007
  10. One more that would definitely hold true in my eyes knowing the nature of human beings:

If atheism spread, it would become a religion as intolerable as the ancient ones. --Gustave le Bon

It has not to do with God himself, but the nature of man and his free will that creates violence. Just because it is done in his name does not mean that he condones it. This is the justification many who do not believe give to denying him though.

#20     Mar 9, 2007