"Grim projections show Canada is on the brink of being overwhelmed by Covid-19"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TreeFrogTrader, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

The numbers from yesterday :

Canada 4965 new cases, 69 deaths
    US 204,179 new cases, 1998 deaths

Hardly seems like a situation you should be criticizing Canada's Covid efforts. Canada's population is roughly a ninth of the US with much of the same logistical complexity as the US. Exact same urban/rural split ( around 70% ).

In terms of outbreak intensity, it is only heightened in certain areas of Canada right now. All in Western Canada although the death totals in Quebec seem high at times ( but new cases have levelled off ). Now here's the rub for Americans. In the first wave, Covid in Eastern Canada and the North East US front ran what was about to happen in the Southern US. This weeks US outbreaks were right on expectations. Canada is taking appropriate action now ( and last month ) to make sure the worst forecasts don't occur. I see little evidence this is occurring in a huge portion of the US, and your idiot President is too busy fighting non-existant "election fraud" to care. Not hard to see what may happen next.

Whatever occurs in Canada, will no doubt hit you worse. If you want to highlight Canada's issues, you are in for a shocking time period in the US in comparison. What you do about it is up to you. Don't be a "Jem" whining about his kid not being in school when the schools are open in Canada. Don't bitch and complain when you are still not willing to use proper safety precautions and take on restrictions when needed. Vaccines are coming; allowing huge numbers of people to die needlessly when they are just around the corner is immoral and unnecessary. Guess we'll see what happens, it's already messy in El Paso and North/South Dakota are seemingly a disaster.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    #21     Nov 21, 2020
    Bugenhagen likes this.
  2. Wallet

Wallet

Hopefully you’re correct and you’re not just a few weeks behind the curve. No country yet has been able to prevent a second or sometimes a third wave.

Now there’s talk of two completely new strains, one in Denmark, one in Australia breaking out, If I understand it correctly these strains would not be controlled by the current vaccine makeup.

#22     Nov 21, 2020
  3. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Ontario's second wave started well before most of the US, and limited new restrictions started more then a month ago ( at the time, they were deemed by medical experts as 2-3 weeks later then they should have been ). We are under no delusions that it might not get worse in December.

It seems some other posters can't make up their mind if they want things open with moderately higher numbers or not. Ontario has been fairly aggressively open since the summer including all schools open in the province. The mistake was opening bars and indoor dining which exasperated the second wave, and we have our own irresponsible people who had house parties. We just have less irresponsible or complete deniers then the US.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    #23     Nov 21, 2020
  4. #24     Nov 21, 2020
  5. Hotcakes

Hotcakes

This is pure dogshit. I live in the Toronto area.

Nothing is happening here. If the hospitals are "overwhelmed" it'll be the first I've heard of it.

I spoke to alot of nurses and docs during the crisis. A friend of mine is a doc here. There was no "over capacity" of the ICUs. Then or now. Most of the times it was very quiet.

#25     Nov 21, 2020
  6. Overnight

Overnight

So do you, Nine_Ender and TreeFrog disagree with each other?

What's going on over there? I guess Ontario and Toronto are very far apart? (Forgive me, I do not recall Canada's geography.)

#26     Nov 21, 2020
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Toronto is the largest city in the Canadian province of Ontario.

Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America.

#27     Nov 21, 2020
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

No one, I mean no one, gives a rip about Canada.

#28     Nov 22, 2020
    wildchild and smallfil like this.
  9. Canadian hospitals near capacity.

Trudeau will soon declare: We all have covid but it is Canadian covid with Canadian values.

Coronavirus: Toronto’s top doctor worried health-care system could become overwhelmed

‘Patients will die’: Doctors warn hospitals bursting as coronavirus cases soar

#29     Nov 22, 2020
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  10. Hotcakes

Hotcakes

I have no idea. All I know is this article is pure hype. I talk to alot of people. I stay on the news. This article is pure hype.

Just like it was fairly quiet in Canadian ICU's during the first wave. Just facts.

#30     Nov 22, 2020