Greg Coffey retires from (no) Moore Capital

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Dogfish, Oct 19, 2012.

1. +1

Best to beat the other guy, but only by a whisker.

#11     Oct 21, 2012
  2. Yes we all agree that "walking away with $665 million after only "a few good years" is absolutely positively killin it."

there is a difference between his performance & what he puts in his own pocket - often it is divergent

Point is in a lot of these cases, it's more about being in the right place, at the right time than anything else (bull market trader)

The old adage "better to be lucky than smart" comes to mind

The guy had a ROR of about 4.5% since 2008
    No doubt b/c he's managing OPM, he still gets paid $millions
    Do the math if he was trading his own account (even $1M)

Before he joined Moore cap in 2008, Bacon was saying:
    "best trader of his generation"
    "legendary"
    blabla

Why don't you ask Louis Bacon what he thinks of Coffey now

#12     Oct 24, 2012
  3. Those who are/were winning can cultivate whatever persona or say what they like (orders coffee when he's not around. LOL) & still have the Eltetards of the world lapping it up

When they can't hack it anymore they whistle another tune "more time to take the kids to school" or some other shit

Jock sniffing tards like Newworlddm would even let Coffey screw his mother/wife/GF for his "Holy Grail" secrets. LMAO

It's all BS anyway, this impression that he was some seat-of-his-pants trader trading 24 hrs...

Most of his performance cam from emerging market equities

#13     Oct 24, 2012
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I think more dollars have been lost in hedgefunds than made. I agree there's a problem when any service industry makes abnormal returns.

Regarding the coffee, etc. A lot of portfolio managers have some messed up personalities. At my old firm, i would wager most PM's would qualify as insane or at least sociopathic. I guess that's what makes them good - they don't think like everyone else. Paul Tudor Jones was like this, and according to a friend who has met him many times, is still quite nutty. From my experience it's mostly the macro guys who punt a lot and have the personality to do it in big size. It's not majority of the industry but it captures the imagination the way AC/DC captures the rockstar persona.

Watch the movie Trader (if you can find it online). It's a PBS documentary about Jones in the 80s. He has worked hard to get rid of it so your best bet is a chinese site like toudou or something. He had magic tennis shoes as well.

"These shoes used were Bruce Willis's. He's a stud."

#14     Oct 24, 2012
  5. toc

toc

Why be jealous, learn a thing or two from this trader and move on. :D

#16     Oct 29, 2012

6. Lol. Very true. However in real life all the ass kissers and ck suckers do get ahead.

#17     Oct 30, 2012
  7. Visaria

Visaria

Is the "Bacon" in Louis Bacon actually pronounced as it reads?

#18     Oct 30, 2012