GreenTraderTax deleted and says goodbye

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by truncheon, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andre

Andre

Ok, I'm sure Baron will have some words, but I'll jump in.

First, I'll state what most people know... that to promote on Elite Trader, the rule is that you've got to pony up and sponsor. Most folks here understand that, and even appreciate it... it keeps the spam at bay, and keeps this site free to members

Two, some sponsors post more than others. We encourage tact. But if they pay, they can choose how active they want to be.

Three, one rule that we also have is that only sponsors can use a sig with their url on it, or post links to their sites. We have some folks here, obviously, who aren't sponsors who do post from time to time, most them have probably had a post deleted. They know the rules, and they don't whine about them after they learn them, and strike a delicate balance.

For the most part, they become tactful about their posting, and allude to their business. If they do that, generally it's a standoff. For example, when I worked for Innerworth, I posted here on ET, if it was relevant to the discussion, and I didn't try to plug the site, it stayed up. But I certainly had some posts deleted.

Now, do you want to talk about Robert Green and Green Trader Tax? Baron has had conversations with Robert Green. They've traded Emails. It's disingenuous for Robert to act as if he's never had a posted deleted before. In short, Robert knows the rules yet he continues to post in spite of them, and personal conversations. He can be a sponsor any time he wants to pay. He has declined.

He is also one of the worst offenders of posting with a signature that includes his business and links to his site. He claims that because he's helping people out, he should be able to post for free. Hogwash, if we let anyone with a product slide, we'd be out a business model, and still have one hell of a server and internet bill.

If you want to complain about this business model, know this... I've worked in online community for over 10 years, for some pretty major companies. I've seen them give lip service to the power of online community. I talked Baron into hiring me because his model harnesses the power of a niche community with a business model that balances out competing interests as best I've seen anywhere on the internet.

If there is a reason why Robert Green's posts have been left up prior to now, it's because we have weighed the community values, information is good, discussion has been built around it, against strict enforcement of the policy.

But now that we have a sponsor who is willing to play by the rules, you betcha, posts from here in out will be deleted, until and if Robert Green wants to support this site.

André

PS: This has been moved to feedback, where it belongs.

#31     Oct 27, 2003
  2. You're full of it too! He claims AND has helped a lot of people out for free. You guys have just deleted TONS of helpful information that he did not ask a penny for. Why don't you just delete his signature and link?

Is this site supposed to be informative? Or some useless forum where would be traders can compare who has the biggest dick? You are turning this site into some bullshit forum where 90% of the postings are a waste of time. Deleting some of the most useful info will be your downfall.

#32     Oct 27, 2003
  3. xbrxx

xbrxx

Andre, good move.
    Moving it to feedback results in:

"These threads will not appear on the homepage."

And not to mention, Feedback is hidden nicely all they way at the bottom! Nice move! How much did it cost Traders Accounting to do that?

xbrxx

#33     Oct 27, 2003
  4. lip411

lip411

EXACTLY.. I would have done this if i were moderator and I have NO experience in being one. It's all common sense and the right/best thing to do given Elitetrader's policy. This is a place of information to attract as many readers as possible. Eliminating USEFUL posts does not do this place ANY service. Wake up Elitetrader and get with the program!

#34     Oct 27, 2003
  5. trader3

trader3

I agree that this would be the most intelligent solution. I think deleting his entire posts implies a lack of respect for your readers.

#35     Oct 27, 2003
  6. Baron probably doesn't want people using his site to get traffic to their site without paying him, as his advertisers do.

on the other hand, the greentradertax guy probably feels that by answering some questions on Baron's site for free, he is helping Baron by having good content on his site. although it's possible the greentradertax guy answers questions just to be helpful, he is probably aware that by answering questions here, it can lead to potential business for him. Baron probably doesn't like that, but it's interesting because the guy did make some beneficial posts to ET members.

i think it's obvious us ET people would prefer to have the greentradertax guy around here, but at the same time, i don't think Baron lets the eSignal people answer questions here, helpful or not, without them sponsoring the site. if Baron lets the greentradertax guy do it, then he has double standards with his advertisers.

if Baron were to allow greentradertax, eSignal, etc. to post here for free, while acknowledging that they do make ET a better place, how does Baron make money besides a few banner ads? i'm pretty sure Baron has ET bills to pay and puts a lot of time into this; he should be able to pay for the site and profit somehow.

#36     Oct 27, 2003
  7. A lot of traders come to this site and make it well known that they are with a firm. Are you saying that they shouldn't be able to answer questions intelligently about comms/software/mgmt/etc? I think that traders should know who he is so that they can have some feeling that its from a legit expert in the field. He can be restricted from pumping his services.

#37     Oct 27, 2003
  8. i'm an eSignal user, for example. if i discuss eSignal on ET, i am doing it as a eSignal customer, not as an eSignal businessman.

i don't think Baron would forbid eSignal's customers discussing eSignal on ET, as long as they were not paid to do it or received something in return for doing that.

#38     Oct 27, 2003
  9. lindq

lindq

#39     Oct 27, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

So why not set up your own site and invite potential advertisers to post for free?

#40     Oct 27, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.