Greenspan debunked the gold standard?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Daal, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Well it did happen in practice and withstood a multi-nation depression with great success. Scotland during the 19th century, before English paper pushers moved in to destroy that system.

A properly controlled and managed system of government money is possible also, that was almost pushed through by JFK, until he was assasinated. He wanted a silver backed U.S. Treasury Note.

I do not know what the BEST system is, all I know is that the current system is nothing more than a scam and was started as such. It's a vicious cycle that will blow up, no question about it. Focus on the core, not the layers, it's quite simple. The bells and whistles of new funky derivatives & debt products are just that, in reality it's an attempt to hide the overblown money supply and the growth of which simply cannot stop.

#31     Nov 28, 2006
  2. dhpar

dhpar

we are in full agreement.... good trading see ya

#32     Nov 28, 2006
  3. Not sure if this was mentioned, but to the original post:

The premise that: "the gold standard was functioning as close as you can get to its ideal" is wrong.

The period of 1879-1913 was a period of economic warfare. The banks wanted a central bank (the Fed), so they actively interevened in the economy to create panics. Panics that would scare the public into accepting the solution: The Federal Reserve.

#33     Dec 2, 2006
  4. dhpar

dhpar

:confused:

#34     Dec 2, 2006
  5. Daal

Daal

more conspiracy theories, next I guess your going to bladder about 1913 and how there is no war between humans and bankers, in fact its an extermination!

#35     Dec 3, 2006
  6. Nice emotional arguments. Do you have anything factual to say?

#36     Dec 3, 2006
  7. Daal

Daal

Its not me who thinks kennedy died because a rothchild wanted, you have to backup the arguments not me

#37     Dec 3, 2006
  8. I don't remember saying that.

I said the goal of the banks was to install a central bank in the United States. In order to achieve that goal, they actively intervened in the economy to manipulate the business cycle. The Panic of 1907 was an example. The purpose of those manipulations was to convince the public that a central bank was needed and that a central bank would smooth away the business cycle. They finally achieved their goal with the Federal Reserve in 1913.

Interesting how the Panic of 1907 was child's play in comparison to the business cycle swings that were created after the Fed was installed. The 1920s and 1930s were the most massive business cycle swings in US history.

#38     Dec 3, 2006
  9. Daal

Daal

Ok, but why would bankers benefit by creating the worst economic collapse in history through the fed? If anything they want more global wealth and trade, they want more production so people can afford their loans they dont want the world misarable and everybody pulling their money from banks and defaulting
    If anything they would be fighting against each other not trying to harm the economy

#39     Dec 3, 2006
  10. Do you suppose all the notorious bank robbers of the era were evidence of an organized attempt to scare people into believing that thieves were rampant all over the country and money hidden at home under the mattress or in sugar bowls was safer in a fractional reserve banking system where it could grow the economy?

If true we can flash forward to current times to see a similar pattern of opportunity and profit by it. With all the value locked up in real estate equity I suppose we should anticipate a mad surge in contrived arson attacks all over the country to scare people into liquidating home equity and getting the population to live in low cost pup-tents to reduce the property tax base and property insurance risk. It's either going to be that or people will start buying up a ton of low deductible fire insurance and start torching their own homes to opt-out of the no-win share cropper system that we currently have.

Hmmm, me thinks I can profit by this theory by selling all insurers short. When the windfall starts to materialize take profits and preserve value in an inflation proof thing like housing. Oops - I think there's a circular co-dependency lurking within my risk management plan. :D

TS

#40     Dec 3, 2006