"Green Smoke Alert" <- What is it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kmiklas, May 30, 2021.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

What is a green smoke alert, and where does the phrase come from? Googling didn't reveal much but some green smoke grenades on Ebay... every damn search is monetized now.

I'm reading "Pit Bull," the story of Buzzy schwartz:

2. SunTrader

SunTrader

kmiklas likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Except the Vatican produces white smoke when a new pope is selected.

jys78 and gkishot like this.
  4. kmiklas

kmiklas

I thought it might be a Vietnam-war era idiom? A frantic call for a Huey/Medivac? Light off a green smoke grenade?

5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

My first thought was something to do fire and/or carbon dioxide detectors. Flashing green lights usually have meaning. LOL

Then I searched... It probably has something to do with Schwartz's "red light/ green light" filter, which is nothing more than a 10-period EMA to determine bull/bear situations. also LOL.

kmiklas likes this.
  6. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Green smoke here in Colorado can only mean one thing.... : p

kmiklas and gkishot like this.
  7. gkishot

gkishot

Green Smoke was a company that went out of business.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I think the green means the dollar here, and as it said, a run on the banks.

9. qlai

qlai

Does the book have “contact the author” info? The guy is retired, so maybe will be glad to talk to you about the past :)

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

There was a frat-type comedy movie back in the day, Eurotrip I think it was.... it had this funny af scene in it where they were on a tour of the Vatican and the two cats somehow got in the Pope's quarters. They caught his hat on fire accidentally from a candle and threw it in the fireplace... all of Rome saw the smoke and thought there was a new Pope. I forget how it went down, but as the room burned the one dude made it out on the Pope's balcony, I think he was wrapped in a drape or something.... he looked like the Pope... it was friggin hilarious.

#10     Jun 1, 2021
    kmiklas likes this.