GREED and Timmmmay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by marketsurfer, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Timmmmay will be on CNN from 8-9pm on monday august 20th.

Timmmmay supporters and detractors should absolutely check this out.

He will be representing GREED and you all know my thoughts on this subject!

If anyone can tape and post, that would be appreciated.

best,

surf

2. Did you see the survey in Traders Monthly? Wenger (editor) said "Morality can't be a big part of the job".

3. This thread is an advertisement for a TV show, and does NOT belong in "Wall St. News" section.

4. no,have the issue, can't locate survey--what am i missing? link me up.

thanks

surf

5. its on CNN. CNN, get it??

<i>If it's financial news that's substantial enough to appear in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Barron's, etc., this is the place to talk about it! </i>

CNN

:D :D

surf:p

6. Give it a rest man--Here's the official news link from the segment's host Roland Martin:

http://www.rolandsmartin.com/blog/?p=93

7. Got me. Maybe it's in an issue that is coming up. This was in the NYPost.

August 19, 2007 -- Wall Street traders don't mind committing the crime - it's doing the time that gives them the willies.

More than half of traders questioned in a recent survey said they would trade on illegal insider information if the deal allowed them to pocket a $10 million profit - provided there was zero chance they would be caught.

If there was a 10 percent chance of getting cuffed by the Feds and perp-walked, then the percentage of traders willing to break the law drops from 58 percent to 28 percent. Only 7 percent of an obviously prison- averse trader community said they would do the crime if there were a 50 percent chance of an indictment.

The survey, which polled 2,500 traders, was taken by Trader Monthly magazine.

Ty Wenger, the editor of the magazine, attributed the high number of traders willing to commit a felony to the huge premium placed on their hav ing an edge. "That edge is the difference between being highly successful or going belly up; there is no guaranteed money," Wenger said. "Morality can't be a big part of the job."

Perhaps it is no surprise then that the do-the-crime-but-do-no-time traders said that the public figure they despise the most is Governor Eliot Spitzer.

Spitzer is the former state Attorney General who made his mark during eight years in office by cracking down on Wall Street - specifically investment banks, mutual funds and insurance companies.

Sixty-two percent of traders in the survey cited Spitzer as being the most hated, far ahead of ex-New York Stock Exchange boss Dick Grasso, who finished second at 20 percent. John Thain, Grasso's successor, garnered 11 percent with Chris Cox, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, getting 7 percent.

And speaking of Grasso, traders are just about evenly split over whether or not he got a bad rap with the Spitzer suit, claiming he was overpaid - 52 percent think he earned every penny.

"Grasso got a bad rap," one trader, Andre Duncan of Mercer Capital, told the magazine. "People that short deserve all the money they can get." Duncan trades short-term equities.

While we're talking about money, 21 percent of traders questioned said they didn't donate any of their salary to charity.

Other topics addressed by the survey, which will appear in the monthly's next issue, to hit the stands Aug. 29:

* If you could swap lives for a year with one of the following traders, he would be . . .? Stevie Cohen, 42 percent; T. Boone Pickens, 27 percent; Paul Tudor Jones, 25 percent; and James Simons, 6 percent.

* If you could have one super power that you could use to trade, it would be . . .? Mind reading, so I could out-think everyone on the trading floor, 68 percent; Invisibility, so I could go around screwing other traders, like Patrick Swayze did in "Ghost," 19 percent; and superhuman speed, so I could click my mouse faster, 13 percent.

8. I think this is a sad statistic and why society condemns greed as being so dangerous. I think that if you're truly greedy, you'll committed to learning as much as possible in order to earn as much as possible. Greed is the greatest educational tool we have and we shouldn't squander it

9. Hope they have a call in.

Savanna, did you ever have sex with a quant?

No, I don't do animals.

Savanna, what's your edge?

Oral.

Stay tuned.....

10. Haha yeah it's gonna get crazy, we also have some big time rabbis and preachers joining in. I'm gonna tag team with Savanna against the 'preacher of the year'!

#10     Aug 19, 2007