Greece....how can they...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by syswizard, Feb 13, 2012.

1. History is written by the winners of the war.

#41     Feb 15, 2012
  2. GTS

GTS

Umm, I think you are confused about how it works. Greece was on the side of the Allies, who won WW2. The winners of a war gets paid, not the losers.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were retaliation for Pearl Harbor?!? :confused:

#42     Feb 15, 2012
  3. Crispy

Crispy

This speaks volumes about you as a human being. Well...less than human in your case.

#43     Feb 15, 2012
  4. zdreg

zdreg

Greece stole hundreds of millions annually, in agricultural subsidies, by lying about their agricultural production. why did the germans etc. tolerate this situation. who in germany benefited?

#44     Feb 15, 2012
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

They put up with it because they wanted them to join the EU.

#45     Feb 15, 2012
  6. zdreg

zdreg

your answer begs the question.Greece was part of the EU.
    why did Germany +northern europe tolerate false agricultural numbers. the result was vast overpayment of subsidies.

#46     Feb 15, 2012
  7. morganist

morganist Guest

I think it was like a bribe to keep them in. Also the administrative side of the Euro was terrible. They set up the statistical body called Eurostat to look into the fiscal and administrative figures of the Eurozone however it did not have any power. They gained the figures from National Statistical Insititutes that were not regulated or sanctioned. In 2008 the ESGAB was set up to regulate these figures but they are still not sanctioned. The only way they have been sanctioned is through the austerity program.

The Eurozone was not regulated or managed properly and the efforts made to do so have only come from the agreement to pay them more money. It is as if they have no real power in Greece and enforcement only comes at the worst time.

#47     Feb 15, 2012
  8. d08

d08

While not directly, and officially it was to "end the war", this was what pushed them to use nuclear weapons.
    As far as I know, much of eastern europe actually sided with the allies.
    But the "history is written by the winning side" comment is very much right of course, the tables might just turn though.

#48     Feb 15, 2012
  9. If you think that you greeks can get away with it, stealing money from other Europeans by lying and cheating without pissing other Europeans like me off, think again.

Bookings for tourism in greece are already down 25% for the moment. And I'm happy for it.

I tell everybody who wants to hear it how normal greek citizens cheated everything and everybody to earn more money. Well, I guess you greeks will receive what you deserve.

#49     Feb 15, 2012
  10. Humpy

Humpy

Lets not let anger deflect us from what could be a land of opportunity. Wouldn't you like to own your own bar by the waterfront ? I would. Just the time to invest !!

Kalimara

#50     Feb 15, 2012