Greece agrees €24bn austerity package

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ASusilovic, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Dr. Pepper wrote "Americans will riot when their social security, medicare, food stamps, unemployment, etc. benefits get cut and their taxes go up just like the Greek people are doing. "

I wonder if our unions will be the instigators, just like they are in Greece?

#21     Apr 30, 2010
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

yes and american's have access to powerful guns.

#22     Apr 30, 2010
  3. Yes, we do. And it only took about 72 hrs before the Feds started confiscating firearms from the homes of law abiding citizens in New Orleans after the floods of Katrina.
    Did they have the Constitutional authority to do so?
    Nope.
    Did they have superior firepower?
    You betcha.
    Did the national press report it?
    Nope, but some local news photogs did film some of it
    And thus begins another conspiracy theory.
    Why they did it, and how they got away with it, is, apparently, beyond my pitiful comprehension. But,it did happen.

#23     Apr 30, 2010
  4. achilles,

I am 99% sure that the other EU countries are in no way guarantors on Greece's debt. I'm not saying there might not be a small issue that a number of sovereign states used as a communal credit facility but I think we'll find that like most sovereign debt it is "full faith and credit" of the issuer for whatever that is worth.

My partner knew a guy years ago in Zurich in the 70's who did forfait financing -- a specialized form of trade finance -- for Yugoslavia and North Korea. His relationships in forfait led him to structure some fair sized sovereign loans (nothing to do with trade finance) and my partner was shocked at how thin the file was -- literally a three page loan agreement. As Geoffrey told him: "None of this paper has even a matchstick of collateral behind it. When one of these deals go South there is nothing to attach. Why spend a ton on legal when once they stiff you it is a negotiation in which the only ammunition the lenders have is that if the country is not nice they will never lend to them again."

The "haircut" here could be large.

#24     Apr 30, 2010
  5. Exactamundo. In 1990 Thatcher introduced the poll tax. A few minor street riots later, she was out of office and the tax fell stillborn from the statue books.

Anyone think the Greeks are less prone to rioting and civil disturbances than the Brits circa 1990?

#25     Apr 30, 2010
  6. i don't know...

i do know that people are very reluctant to part with their benefits if they have enjoyed them for many years. for some reason the explanations like "it is the only way out of this mess" or "people in other countries don't have benefits like that" fall on dead ears.

#26     Apr 30, 2010
    #27     Apr 30, 2010
  8. spinn

spinn

When is the usa going to bail out greece? Or are we already?

#28     Apr 30, 2010
  9. as a contributor to IMF, US is paying for 17% of the bailout coming from IMF.

#29     Apr 30, 2010
  10. Illum

Illum

Like TZ said, it just doesn't feel right. I have no doubt their intention is to preserve the Euro And everyone remain in it. But, if it such a done deal, why.. have they fixed this problem 5 times already?

#30     Apr 30, 2010