Great system time tested but I need CODING help!!

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by truetrend, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Over 50 PMs :eek: :confused: May be that $300
    something offer was more attractive to some.

You can add me to your 51st PMers if you would
    like to , I'll do it for free in Easylanguage, But don't
    promise anything for coding accuracy & completion date

#11     Oct 18, 2005
  2. Thanks Nana but I have narrowed it down to the last few candidates. As soon as I get a free minute (lol I used to have a lot of them, wonder where they went:)) I will speak to both and make my final decision, hopefully by the end of the week.

So unless you have unreal credentials like say Al Gore and you invented the internet, lol, I appreciate your thoughts but it is probably to late to contact me now for the 1st time (unless you are a big fund with interest in backing my system and/or me). Best of luck to all and trade well.

#12     Oct 18, 2005
  3. May you grow rich quickly.
    :D
    PS: keep an eye on that "coder" though.

#13     Oct 19, 2005
  4. Truetrend

I noticed you may have already decided but here is my 2 cents worth.

I have used a coder name Joe Jurgnst (?) of tradingalchemy.com.

I have used him for 5 years now! About 2 to 3 times a year.

He will sign a Non Disclosure document at your request.

And lastly as another poster had mentioned. Have the logic of the system coded. And when you give the programmer the specs. Have them ALL screwed up.

IE. If you trade a one minute chart with 2 indicators that have settings a 1,2 and 3,4... Tell the programmer you need it for a 45 minute chart and the 2 indicators set ar 55,65 and 33,23. This way when they do program it and run it it looks like garbage to them.

#14     Oct 19, 2005
  5. it appears that times are still tough for technical people...

#15     Oct 19, 2005
  6. Pro_trader - good idea except for a few things. say i trade a moving average cross to make things simple. say im using a 30 and 50. part of what i need tested is

1 - is the 30/50 best or do i get better results with a 25/55 or a 31/49?

2 - what time frame is best? 1, 2, 3, 5, etc?

and the things I cant test myself (I know I can change the #s above easily) is should there be any filters included in the code to eliminate trades during chop. or bs signals that call for you to exit prematurely.

lot of stuff running through my head ive been using that i want backtesting within the scope of my system.

but thanks for the input i will look into your guy.

#16     Oct 19, 2005
  7. truetrend,

that is problematic in that every 'filter' must be programmed in which case you have to pay for it. It is cheaper if you have some generic idicator that you want to use as a filter. But if it is a propriatary type indicator then you have to pay extra.

What I would advise program the fundamentals... then do some of your own spot testing on filters... find the most promising ones and then have those programmed at a later time.

Something that you have to get used to, that you may intially find irritating, it the precise use of language with a programmer.

A good programmer does not assume anything so you have to spell out every damn thing...

#17     Oct 19, 2005
  8. man

man

excuse me. this is a strange thread. i would never ever do this thing. i would never ever search for a coder over the biggest board in the net about the topic. anyone not completely nuts will figure out whether it works better with 1 minute or 45 minute data. whichever component you can change yourself, (s)he will run through a loop - or he is illiterate. it won't change if you change ten different. it will just take ten days of constant computation to find it out. and everyone, everyone, everyone on this board who is qualified to do the test will do exactly this.

i am sorry. you are just giving away your mental property.

i would at least search somewhere else. a local university. or go to an IT board - but not trading.

BTW if it is not easily done in a standard tool then it might be very well possible that it is not codeable at all. i have seen this. suddenly and undetected subjective element pops up ...

if i were in your shoes i would at least not start it under "great system time tested ..."

sorry for my scepticism. you have no idea how people change once they see "it" ...

did someone say something about a confidentialiyt agreement? that works if you want to impress college guys. it diminishes ever after ...

peace

#18     Oct 20, 2005
  9. confirming popular wisdom about the W/L ratio.
    :D

#19     Oct 20, 2005
  10. This really is not the place to find talent for software projects .... And yes, those agreements are only as good as the amount of money you have to stop violators - much like patents. Unless you have tens of millions (actually maybe a hundred million) in cash to sue everybody in the case of a violation, then you have little chance at enforcement. The agreements are more like gentlemens agreements between people that already know and trust each other .....

#20     Oct 20, 2005