Great short candidate: ISRG

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by hedgeyourbets, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Your comments are interesting.

I would not compare this company and its product to TASR.

Rising short interest can accompany a rising stock for many months, and 10% is not that high compared to ....TASR.

So why would you go short now anyway?

#11     Nov 14, 2005
  2. I am not really trying to directly compare ISRG to TASR. Only in a sense that the latter had an unrealistic run-up before on the assumption that every cop in the world was going to have one of the Taser stunt guns... Novelty does wear off... Particularly in the stock market. Sometimes all it takes is just one " bad news", not necessarily released by the company in question... One scenario would be a release of a competing product (and I am sure it's coming sooner or later). Another would be a secondary offering by the company to raised more funds to "expand" into other areas... It is all hypothetical of course. As far as going short, I would only look at it as a very short-term trade. Heck, even GOOG had down days and even weeks. ISRG has actually done a lot better than GOOG... I could be wrong on ISRG. I am sure we'll find out soon enough...

#12     Nov 14, 2005
  3. It's risky as fuck to short a stock hitting new highs supported by positive EPS and great growth.

But then again...I don't know much

#13     Nov 14, 2005
  4. Its risky to fuck these days too.

#14     Nov 14, 2005
  5. You might be successful at picking the top. But if you are, you will have done yourself a major disservice, because you will subsequently feel that you can actually pick tops successfully all the time. And therefore, whatever you will have lucked out and made on this particular stock, you will subsequently lose many times over in all your future attempts to top pick.

My suggestion to you is to forget it. If you think you should be shorting, short something that has already rolled over. Your life will be considerably easier.

OldTrader

#15     Nov 15, 2005
  6. OSTK could be good short or "long puts".

#16     Nov 15, 2005
  7. Thanks. That was a good one... But I am sure you already knew that :)

#17     Nov 15, 2005
  8. FDG another short or put play?

#18     Nov 15, 2005
  9. wow, classic! Just looked at it... That's what happens when people start thinking coal is going to be used in everything (even as a sugar substitute) since oil is so expensive :)
    It looks like FDG started to reverse as soon as we hit the top in oil...

#19     Nov 15, 2005
  10. dac8555

dac8555

disagree 100%. i dont see anything bearish about it. fundamentally and technically on almost any timeframe i see 100% long.

where do you get short out of that?????????

#20     Nov 15, 2005