Great Observation from Wal-Mart's CEO

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MKTrader, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

This from Zero Hedge:

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/wal-marts-ceo-provides-starkest-visual-modern-bread-line-yet

Profits And Baby Formula – Our pal, Rich Yamarone, over at Bloomberg picked up an eye-opening statement made by the Wal-Mart CEO last week:

"I don't need to tell you that our customer remains challenged…You need not go farther than one of our stores on midnight at the end of the month. And it's real interesting to watch, about 11 p.m. customers start to come in and shop, fill their grocery basket with basic items – baby formula, milk, bread, eggs – and continue to shop and mill about the store until midnight when government electronic benefits cards get activated, and then the checkout starts and occurs. And our sales for those first few hours on the first of the month are substantially and significantly higher."

I couldn't imagine how much business they'd get if our recession hadn't ended over a year ago!

2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Great post! Thanks!

Interesting

3. about 11 p.m. customers start to come in and shop,
    -------------------------

I'd like to know if those customers come in with kids at 11 pm on a school night.

4. That is a great point.

People keep looking for the physical indicators of the Depression of 1900s. This Depression is not the same, as described by the CEO of walmart. No Soup lines, bread lines or mass exodus from major cities to the Farm lands.

The breadline is the "Food" benni's program. Look at how many people are on food stamps and tell me this is not a Depression.

The idiots use the term "GREAT RECESSSION" to desensitize the public, to easy them into reality.

We can't track M3 any more. Unemployment numbers are a lie. Steady at 9.6% all the while, we loose near 400K of jobs a month. Wait til fridays numbers.

The propaganda machine is on full power and I doubt people are buying it. More and more post (Outside ET) of ordinary people on basic media sites, shows they are slowly waking up.

Look at the key Blue Chips, the over all US markets on a 5 year chart.

Take a look at the 2 bubbles prior to the Depression.

Look at the basic indicators of the 1900 Depression vrs Todays. There are a lot of correlations, when looking at %s.

It's outa my control and I could careless if the Public understands we are in a depression or GREAT RECESSION propganda. I know I am surviving and will continue to.

The sad part is, that the PUNDITS and GOV believe their own bullshit, even when CEO's bring up solid data.

5. MKTrader

MKTrader

I don't know, but I've seen some people come in with kids very late at Wal-Mart before--school night on no. There are some pretty dysfuntional families out there.

6. LEAPup

LEAPup

EMR, this is absolutely a depression, no question. A great recession? Lol!

Good post bro!

7. LEAPup

LEAPup

I do hate Walmart. Mainly due to these facts:

*You almost get killed walking through the parking lot from the "out a my way right now!" drivers.

*Rude 450lb fat women blocking up the aisles and looking at you like, "screw you, go to another aisle!"

*Lines a mile long filled with people that have the average I.Q of the room's temperature with two LOADED buggies staring at you while you're holding a 50lb bag of dog food with cash in hand, with that look like, "screw you! I was here first, and you aren't going ahead of me even though I'm paying for food with food stamps, and alcohol and cheap cigarettes with welfare cash."

*"Parnets" with their screaming kids in there at all hours of the night on school nights. Oh yes, I've heard parents say, "now I've told you to stop. Now stop! Stop it! Stop it!" Instead of getting a hold of their kids and making them KNOW to stop, they let them behave like wild animals.

*Mom and Pop local grocery stores are now a distant memory in my area due to the fact that they cannot sompete with the one stop shopping model. I'm all for Capitalism, and will fight for it, but the days of the small Mom and Pop stores were where you actually saw your neighbors in a less stressful than Wally World environment, and they would actually smile and say hello.

*Did I mention big fat, massive, rude people blocking up the aisles, and giving you that "screw you" look?:mad:

Oh well. Rather than get angry, I'll drive a little further to a smaller store, pay a little more, and come home MUCH less stressed. Then for laughs I'll go to www.peopleofwalmart.com and roll laughing at what I DIDN'T have to see!:D

8. nkhoi

nkhoi

since our local walmart doubles its size I have stopped going there too big i wandered for hours completely forgot what I was there for.

9. LEAPup

LEAPup

My Wife asked me if I would go to Waly World with her recently, and I looked at her like she had just asked, "honey, would you like to put your head in a vise and tighten it to the point your eye balls pop out.":D

Shortly there after, I'm in wally world:D wishing I could find a vise to put my head in...:(

10. Larson

Larson Guest

The trend to annihilate small business began in the 1970s. Now you have a chain for everything. The poor slob running it has to work harder than mom & pop did because the location is open more hours and has the arbitrary whip of corporate over them. It was supposed to be about price and economy of scale, which never really materialized.

#10     Sep 22, 2010