GREAT news out of California

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bond_trad3r, May 29, 2009.

1. jem

jem

California Democrats have controlled the legislature and destroyed this state. If arnold is to blame for anything it is because he did not have the guts to stand up to the democrats and take a stand years ago. The govt give aways were unbelievable out here.

#41     May 30, 2009
  2. They will do anything to save a buck but won't enforce the law and deport the illegals who are bankrupting/destroying the state. The Governor may have big biceps but he has no backbone.....

#42     May 30, 2009
  3. It only took one post to come up with the universal excuse used by BOTH sides. You have to love partisan politics. It's just one big slight of hand trick, and most of the country buys into it.

#43     May 30, 2009
  4. pspr

pspr

I'm no fan of Arnold's because he is PW'd by his ultra liberal wife. As long as those ultra lubes are in the legislature it won't matter who is Governor, Davis, Arnold or whomever. Like the U.S. Congress, the state just can't stop spending and doing other incredibly stupid things. When they legalize maryjane they'll find out about the staggering costs of everyday drug abuse by tens of millions.

Maybe California should just print their own money and bail out themselves with CaliDollars.

I guess I'll give Arnold and Cali a break. This is the kind of development that made America great in the first place.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.12fab6f6c00a65e15e6fb5e305aacbb7.41&show_article=1

#44     May 30, 2009
  5. jem

jem

not sure what you are trying to say.

I have been saying the dems have been ruining this state on elite trader for years.

as the post right after me declared - so far arnold has shown not backbone.

he is in the center of it at a pivotal time - why not step up be a man and really slash spending. He could be a hero for generations to everyone who did not lose their job.

#45     Jun 1, 2009
  6. What if so many lose their jobs it doesn't matter who did what?

#46     Jun 1, 2009
  7. Humpy

Humpy

I know it's way too late but didn't anyone in Cali see Mr. Muscles wasn't the right man for the job.

I mean with a good script he's great but in the mental managerial league a pygmy

#47     Jun 2, 2009
  8. jem

jem

I am not sure it really matters then. If the economy is floated by relative huge taxes and government jobs, the economy can not last.

I think people expected him to have a showdown with the dems on spending.

It does not take a rocket scientist to balance the budget.

Not when you have an obscene state income tax, large property taxes and massive income from formerly highly profitable corporations.

#48     Jun 2, 2009
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Correct. Perhaps someone between a congressman and a rocket scientist. Like a town drunk or a 5th grader.

#49     Jun 2, 2009
  10. I disagree.
    California is caught in pretty much the same storm as General Motors.

You have a horrible economy that is dramatically cutting the corporate tax revenues (sales) while the pension expense and health benefits for State employees is a very large part of the budget that legislators cannot even begin to touch.

Yes, spending went out of control under Gray Davis, and Arnold did not do much to reign it in. Instead, he offered a political "gimmicky" rollback of the vehicle registration tax and he wound-up getting elected over the outrage with Gray Davis and subsequent recall.

In fact, Arnold hasn't shown much in the way of leadership skills whatsoever . . . You would have thought that he would have been able to forge some strong relationships with people in the State legislature by this time, but no. Nadda.

In any event, it's not just out of control spending that is hurting California . . .

It's a huge decline in tax revenues, a horrible economy with unemployment over 10%, a State constitution that is the 3rd oldest Constitution in the world today ( behind India and Alabama ) that requires a 2/3rd's super-majority - - - hence nothing ever gets done. Not too mention Proposition 13 which doesn't even begin to pay for hardly anything.

California's economy is one of the largest in the world. It's budget is complicated, and humongous ALL at the same time. People want all kind of services, but they don't want to pay for them. But let's make no mistake, the corporate tax revenues and property tax revenues simply aren't there anymore to support all of these employee pensions, state funded programs, services, etc.

On another note, the budget for the University of California and its 10 campuses including med schools, along with the California State College System, and the Junior College system is at $41 BILLION!!!

( Compare this with total budget expenditures for the state of Nevada at $22 Billion. A state I might add that is currently facing a 15% or $3 billion dollar short fall ).

And make no mistake . . . tuition at this education level has been raised every single year for the past several years.

Again, California is challenged by a variety of factors and issues on a magnitude that faces most Countries, not states.

#50     Jun 4, 2009