Great Ideas and Great Rewards

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ituglobal, May 9, 2013.

1. A Break from the Norm

Breaking free from the usually dreary and cryptic anthology… welcoming entertaining, simple, easily-understood and provocative poetry…

It is an open secret that most publishers reject poetry because they think it usually has poor sales potential. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that poetry is often very difficult to be understood by an average reader. Poems tend to have hidden meanings, and a result of this, readers feel disappointed rather than feeling satisfied and entertained. Unless one is a lover of poems, has a good understanding of English and/or reading for an exam, one would not feel inclined to read poetry.

However, the poems in this book are different in many ways and this is one reason the premium edition is titled: A Break from the Norm. Each poem is very easy to understand, has no hidden meaning (which means you would easily get what the poem is all about), and would entertain you.

Now you can have a feel the Break from the Norm…

1. Behold The Maple Leaf! 2002
    2. Why The Vicissitudes? 2003
    3. Trent Is Great 2003
    4. On The Dance Floor 2004
    5. Encomium For Melinda Gates 2004
    6. Ill-gotten Certificates 2004
    7. Mother Teresa 2005
    8. Prejudice 2005
    9. My Old Friend 2005
    10. Why The Vicissitudes? 2005
    11. The Real Elixir 2005
    12. A Casanova Deceives A Mug 2005
    13. The Enweying Lyric 2005
    14. Do Not Divorce 2005
    15. The Cry Of A Lecher 2006
    16. Runsman 2006
    17. Meaningless Exams 2006
    18. Seen From A Window 2006
    19. Runs! Runs! Runs! 2006
    20. Whether Rich Or Poor 2006
    21. In The Name Of Love 2006
    22. Mosquitoes’ Anthem 2006
    23. Shams On The Web 2006
    24. Oluwatoyin 2006
    25. Yorubaland 2006
    26. My Confession 2006
    27. September 11 2006
    28. He Who laughs Last 2006
    29. The Cyberman 2006
    30. Agony of Love 2006
    31. I’m Tired Of… 2006
    32. Nude Animals 2007
    33. Risks 2007
    34. Racism 2007
    35. Anne Frank 2007
    36. English Language 2007
    37. Beauty Of True Love 2007
    38. My Peerless Sweetheart 2007
    39. Pleasant Pain 2007
    40. New Year Resolutions 2007

Including 60 more poems….

#11     Jun 11, 2013
  2. Preventing Malaria in Africa

It is no longer a secret that if there were no mosquitoes, there would be no malaria. Therefore, the best and the most effective way to prevent malaria (or drastically reduce malaria cases to the barest minimum) is to control mosquitoes. Since the mosquito itself offers little or no ecological or environmental benefits, the suggestions below would make the mosquito an endangered species, as well as prevent human contacts with them. This would in effect, make malaria a rare case.

It is beyond the scope of this short article to explain what malaria is and how it is transmitted; our purpose is to proffer succinct ways of getting rid of mosquitoes, and thus preventing malaria.
    Yes, we can get rid of mosquitoes, only if we do not think this is only the responsibility of the government and/or some organizations alone. We must know that this is our collective responsibility. If only we could tackle misquotes/malaria with a sense of responsibility, malaria would be as rare as small pox, which once was a very dreaded and rampant scourge in Africa. Otherwise, the fight against malaria would never be won - no matter how much money is earmarked for the fight. If an AIDS-free generation begins with you, a malaria-free generation also begins with you.

These are simple but decisive steps that can deal a fatal blow to the existence of mosquitoes and effectively prevent malaria:

1. Everybody in the community must get rid of stagnant water in or around her/his home.

2. Everybody in the community should make use of modern toilet facilities and stop indiscriminate pollution of the environment with urine and feces.

3. Everybody in the community should obey the rules of simple hygiene. Wash your hands with antiseptic/medicated soap after using a toilet, keep your home and its surrounding very clean, get rid of flies and burn/bury organic waste matter.

4. Everybody in the community should stop contaminating water sources.

5. Everybody in the community should sleep under an insecticide-treated net.

6. Everybody in the community should report any case of malaria infection immediately to the nearest hospital for proper diagnosis and effective treatment.

It can be guaranteed that if the rules above are followed faithfully by every member of the community, malaria would become extremely insignificant among the causes of deaths in Africa. By preventing mosquitoes, we can surely prevent malaria.

Source: Literactworld.com

#12     Jun 26, 2013
  3. Why Spartacus’ Fate Was Inevitable

After watching the Starz series movies about Spartacus, that Thracian gladiator who led a major slave revolt against the Roman Republic, certain conclusions came to my mind. The series movies are: ‘Blood and Sand’, ‘Gods of the Arena,’ ‘Vengeance,’ and ‘War of the Damned.’ Historically, the revolt lasted from 73 to 71 BCE.

I love to watch movies that I’m interest in. You might wonder how I manage to watch movies in spite of my tight schedule and increasing responsibilities. Well, we create the time to do what we’re seriously interested in. when you hear someone say she/he is too busy to do something, it means the person isn’t really interested in that thing. A professional womanizer would create the time for pursing his interest, no matter how busy he’s. Likewise, a book lover will create the time to read, no matter how busy she/he is.

I’m not going to make comments on the many controversies surrounding the character of Spartacus, nor would I comment on the fact that some critics doubt whether Spartacus’ motive was to really liberate all the slaves in the then Roman world or he wanted to enforce some reforms. I’d simply explain why Spartacus’s fate was inevitable: why he lost to Romans in the end.

Spartacus had a just cause for his rebellion, and he, along with his other experienced gladiators (Oenomaus, Castus, Crixus, Gannicus, etc ) enjoyed initial successes as they carried out their vengeance against the Romans. Rome did tremble. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong. The rebellion started at the time that Rome was destined to become stronger and stronger until it became an empire. It was the longest lasting empire in the world history. How could Spartacus had attained permanent success when the Roman Republic was bound to become the Roman Empire – an Empire that lasted 500 years? So it’s no surprise that the uprising he started was destined to fail at last. The Roman Empire later spread around the Mediterranean in Europe, and to Africa and Asia.

After decades of rule, the Empire became weak and stated to decline. If someone had begun a Spartacus-like uprising when the Empire was weak and disintegrating, he surely would have succeeded permanently. He’d even have succeeded in overthrowing the Roman government.

Apart from the fact that Spartacus started his rebellion at a wrong period, he’d have considered the option of leaving the Roman world - he and his cohort. At the height of his strength and initial successes in battle, he’d have led his followers and fellow gladiators away from the holdings of the Roman Republic. He’d just need to go far away into an unknown territory, dominate those that could’ve been found there, and started a new life. It might happen that Romans wouldn’t bother to send an expedition after him, for they might be glad that he was away from their territory. Even if Romans decided to smell him out when he was no longer in their territory, they’d then suffer for that, for he and his followers would be able to defend themselves triumphantly.

Spartacus and his cohorts saw themselves as freedom fighters, but Rome saw them as doomed rebels. Spartacus couldn’t have stayed within the holdings of the Republic that was destined to become an autocratic Empire and hope to fight and fight until he overthrew the Republic. He could’ve left their world, and started a new world of his own. By doing this, he’d have started a new country and live happily with his followers as totally free citizens.

Source: Literactworld.com

#13     Jul 7, 2013
  4. GSM PALAVER 1

Calculator for Proposal

About 13 years ago when GSM technology was very new in my country, only the rich could afford to buy GSM mobile phones and recharge cards. Anyone in possession of it was viewed with a lot of respect. Girls particularly wouldn’t consider you for a relationship if you had no GSM phone. So boys tended to try to assume any forms of guises to impress girls.

There was a young man who loved to win girls by assuming to be a personage. He took something like an attractive handset out in the midst of 4 beautiful girls and started making fake calls.

“Hallo!” He shouted. “Is that Dublin? Please could I talk to Mr. Johnson Micawber? Good afternoon Mr. Micawber. Yes, have you effected the purchase of that duplex? Okay, I’ll send the remaining balance by check to you. Thanks.”

The beautiful girls had started to think of giving him a chance. He dialed another fake number.

“Hallo! I am Mr. Okoro, the son of High Chief Raymond Soofo. Is that the Canadian Ministry of International Trade? Just to assure you that I’ll soon send $1.5 million by wire transfer to you so that you could start that importation arrangement. Thanks and bye.”

The girls were determined to have him – for financial comfort and international connection. The boy made another sham call.

“Hallo! Could I talk to Japanese Prime Minister, please. My name is…” But before he could continue, his younger brother just emerged, not knowing what was going on, and talked to him directly in the presence of the girls.

“Good afternoon, brother. Our mom instructed me to take the calculator that’s in your hands.”

Watch out for next…

Source: http://literactworld.com/gsm-palaver-1/

#14     Jul 27, 2013
  5. A JOB IN THE ZOO

There was a man who was looking for a job. He had tried all he could, but in vain. He later decided, after a long search, to go to a zoo and apply for any position available.

When he got to the zoo’s management at last, the manager said:

“OK there is no job now, but we are considering you for a possible post. There is a shortage of some wild animals here. And you, honestly, with your broad and hairy chest, huge build and terrible face, could be a gorilla.”

The man nodded. The manager continued: “Since you need a job badly. Your ugly but huge build make you look like a gorilla. So you may stay in the zoo during visiting hours, and eat, shout, act like a gorilla. We’ll pay you $400 per month for this. We shall try to see how you could look more like a real gorilla, so come back tomorrow.”

The man thanked and left. The next day, he was given the job.

Watch out for more…

Source: http://literactworld.com/

#15     Aug 3, 2013
  6. The Real Elixir

I am not a Lao Tzu or a Taoist, but when I went to the land of the spirits I was shown a secret to everlasting life on earth. In fact all our social, academic, marital, career and material pursuits are worthless simply because life is short – only 80 or 90 years. I am just planning to try this prescription, but I am sure it works; only for those who have the courage and determination to gather the ingredients and use it as prescribed. Now take a pen and a piece of paper and jot down this secret.

1. Cut a small piece of cloth from a dress belonging to your great granny.
    2. Shave the Saudi Monarch’s mustache.
    3. Pilfer a live light bulb in an army general’s office at night – in an army barracks.
    4. Cut the head of a tortoise which is 250 years old.
    5. The shoelace of an American politician who has lost elections 10 times.
    6. Pull out a claw from a conscious lion.
    7. Let all the above be burnt to ashes by a pregnant woman who is still a virgin.
    8. Then take it from her, preserve it in an air-tight pot, add a teaspoonful to some pap once in a year.

Once it is finished, live forever. This is SURE!

Watch out for the next…

#16     Aug 10, 2013
  7. One Request At A Time

There was a local heathen that was just converted to Christianity. In fact, he was a novice Christian. One day, he wanted to pray, but heard that another person was praying next room, so he decided to wait for the person to finish praying before he started his own prayer.

After 30 minutes, the other person was still praying, and he therefore waited another 30 minutes. After that the other person was still praying, he lost patience and went to the person’s apartment, knocking hard. That person opened the door and this novice Christian started ranting his complaint:

“Why are you so selfish? You’ve been praying for over 1 hour and you haven’t stopped. I also want to pray to God but I just want to let you finish praying so that I can also have the opportunity to talk to Him in prayer. You’ve failed to stop praying and you are delaying me! Why are you so selfish?”

The other person tried to control his laughter, and said:

“I’m sorry. But I’m not delaying you. Our God is omnipresent and can hear and discern what everybody is saying, even if the whole world were praying at the same time. So you can start praying without waiting for anybody to finish. He isn’t a human being with severe limitations.”

Source: www.literactworld.com

Watch out for the next….

#17     Aug 16, 2013
  8. Not Available At The Moment

One time ago an almost illiterate housewife told her son:

“Please take my mobile phone and call your father for me.”

The son dialed a few times and replied:

“Mummy, whenever I tried to dial it was a woman’s voice I heard.”

“A woman’s voice?” yelled his mother.

“Yes.”

The woman was mad with anger but tried to remain calm till the husband came home. As soon as the husband came home, his wife pounced on him without saying anything, wrestling him and calling him all sorts of bad names.

“What was a strange woman doing with your phone? You Casanova, weird son of a mongrel bitch, bloody idiot, goddammed fool, asshole, skunk, motherfucker, womanizer, hopeless flirt! Am I not satisfying your sexual madness enough?”

The man was too bewildered to speak. It was just like a dream to him. People began to gather to settle the matter. The husband was queried, but he said his wife should be asked first. The wife was queried and she said all she could say. Then a wise man commented:

“May we call your son and ask him what the strange woman told him on phone and whether it is true?”

The son was queried. But he said:

“Whenever I called my father’s number, the woman’s voice I heard said, ’The number you have called is not available at the moment, please try again later.’”

Watch out for next…

#18     Aug 24, 2013
  9. Or Else Pure Water

There was a bully who liked to intimidate the weak and cheat them. He would go to an eatery and shout at any customer who regularly visited the eatery:

“Give me your food or else…”

The man would give him the food in fear. Another time the bully would go there:

“Give me your drink or else…”

The man would give him the drink. This thing continued for a long time till the victim decided to report to one notorious thug in the area. This thug was renowned for dangerous fights and lethal weapons. His dad was a prisoners’ president in one of the most dreaded maximum prisons in the country, and he had been imprisoned for 42 year (even before the Civil War). The professional thug offered to help this victim free of charge. He followed him to the eatery and sat beside him. No sooner had he sat down than the bully appeared. He shouted:

“Give me your food or else…!”

The hired thug stood up to the man, chest-to-chest, face-to-face, with a great scowl and roared at the bully with a raucous voice:

“May God punish you and your generation. Or else what…?”

Shuddering with fear, the bully didn’t answer.

“I say, or else what…?”

The man cowered and answered:

“Or else pure water. Or else pure water.”

And he ran away.

Watch for the next….

Source: www.literactworld.com

#19     Sep 1, 2013