great dell monitor cheap.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Free Thinker, Mar 21, 2005.

1. i recently bought a new computer with new 128 mb video cards. these cards weren't digital but i bought a converter that hooks up to the analog video card and supposedly it makes it digital. is anyone familair with these and do they work?

#51     Apr 9, 2005
  2. just ordered 4. since feb i've ordered 3 dell computers(2 3000's and a 8400) 8 19 inch lcd's. a whole new wireless network using linksys newest long range srx technology router which works super fast everywere within 600 ft of house and i have dual dsl cable modem internet. i better make 10k a week spending all this money

#52     Apr 9, 2005
  3. Moreagr

Moreagr

Yes i bought one and it works great its called a VGA adptor.. you need it if you eother have 2 crt or 2 dvi monitors. just stick it on the second head of the card... that way it will read dvi data instead of analog data 2 wide ports...

#53     Apr 9, 2005
  4. gnome

gnome

Any of you get a better deal... like, bonus discount.... with Dell Preferred Account?

#54     Apr 9, 2005
  5. Apparently they won't ship to Canada if I enter this info at the dell.com site - I have to go through dell.ca. Does anyone know of a similiar coupon for the dell.ca site? I asked if this code would work and dell.ca said no.

#55     Apr 9, 2005
  6. Unfortunately, Dell does a poor job of providing promotional opportunities for Canada. I have helped people set up for trading in Canada and they seemed to have to pay more for the same product. The equipment is certified for both the US and Canada, but there is less competition there and much higher taxes. Good luck.

#56     Apr 9, 2005
  7. thanks FT... yes, $200 CDN difference for the 1905FP!! FT, if you have a second, do you have an opinion on buying large LCDs in the used market? I have had great experiences buying used CRTs used, like the 21" Sony I am on now, which has worked flawlessly. Are there LCD-specific issues with buying used that I should be aware of? The problem is that, having become used to all this screen space, I find 19" to be too small! I may have to go to a dual monitor card, because a 21" LCD may be a bit out of my price range.

Sorry if this is OT - I will start another thread if someone asks me to.

#57     Apr 9, 2005
  8. woodgrain

woodgrain

OK, you sold me on it! I'll buy one today! Thanks for the post!

#58     Apr 9, 2005
  9. I emphasize the warranty on purchases such as these. You might already know that LCD's can't be fixed. It is cheaper to replace them. Hence, you need to make sure that whatever you buy has at least a 3-yr warranty (most major brands of new monitors will have this; otherwise, avoid buying from them). Used LCD that are very good and in perfect condition can be found, but for me it is not worth the savings. LCD's suffer from bad pixels and irreplacable backlights.

Take a look at the incremental increase in price for practically the same monitor per inch of screen diagonal and you will realize that it is better to buy multiple monitors than to buy one big one. You will get more screen real estate and more utility out of two monitors. The additional cost would be for a dual video card and this isn't an issue if you don't use this setup for gaming. You can pick up a dual-head VGA video card for around $50. These video cards can't handle 3D graphics and gaming.

Two of these Dell 1905FP's will cost around $680 shipped and including taxes. This gives you 2560 x 1024 or 1280 x 2048 resolution. You won't get this in a 21" for about the same price. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck finding a deal that fits your budget.

#59     Apr 9, 2005
  10. You won't regret it (until 21" LCD's are selling for $300 this time next year... that is. :) )

#60     Apr 9, 2005