Great Atheist Bomb Drops!

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Frederick Foresight, May 10, 2021.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  3. So I watched both videos. One offers some thoughtful questions, the other a silly debate about hallucinations, which admittedly the atheist fell into the trap.
    God, as described in the bible has too many human characteristics to be taken seriously as a supreme being. This God is being portrayed as often angry, vengeful, prone to violent outbursts, judgemental and punishing. If true, and I don't know if it is or not, the very idea that a God like this exists and we are his subjects should strike terror into our hearts. Isn't anyone going to make the cut and the idea that one can commit the most horrific crimes against humanity and then be given a pass with a simple confession is nonsense. Nope, this God of the bible doesn't pass muster and it's your bible being offered as evidence.

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

5. themickey

themickey

The right side, the wrong side and the inbetween side?

6. I have also watched both videos. Just as you should never trust a phrase or sentence when it might be taken out of context, the first video only showed the atheists' points of view and should not be relied on as representing both sides of the arguments. There are answers to each of the questions asked. I’ve thought about putting in the time to write up answers or find videos with the answers, and maybe I will, but for now, I’m just responding with this.

The reason that I responded with a video on the resurrection of Jesus is that if Jesus is God and really did die in our place as a substitute for the punishment we deserve and then was raised from the dead three days later, then no other arguments really matter. Either one receives forgiveness of their sins through Jesus or one pays for their own sins. Any reasonings against God’s existence or His character aren’t going to stand if God is the One judging.

You expressed concern that according to Christianity, anyone who commits horrendous crimes against humanity can receive a “get out of jail” free card so to speak, or a simple pass to get into heaven by simple confession. That is not exactly how the Bible puts it. Simple confession does not forgive sins, but faith in Jesus along with the confession of our sinful condition does. “In him” (Jesus) “we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses.” Eph 1:7

We must see the hideousness of our sin as compared to God’s perfect holiness which leads to seeing our need for a Savior lest we suffer eternal punishment. When one embraces the Lord Jesus as their Savior, recognizing His rights over us as our Creator and God and recognizing that He took the punishment that we deserve, one becomes forgiven of his or her sins. It is not a free pass. It cost Jesus a lot.

Justice has been served, because the punishment was placed on Jesus.

Written about 700 years before Jesus’ death were these prophecies from Isaiah 53:5,6 (NIV):

But he was pierced for our transgressions,​

he was crushed for our iniquities;​

the punishment that brought us peace was on him,​

and by his wounds we are healed.​

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,​

each of us has turned to our own way;​

and the Lord has laid on him​

the iniquity of us all.​

From the beginning of the Old Testament to the end of the New Testament, in a period spanning about 1,500 years and 40 different authors, there is interwoven an unchanging message to us: Because people forsook God, He has let us go our own ways. It is our sin (rebellion from doing things God’s way) that separates us from God. God provides the Way for our reconciliation.

The fact that such a consistent message is given, especially when considering the length of time and number of authors that make up the Bible, is very strong proof that it is indeed authored by God.

That became kind of long to write out. Here is a quick summary:

1. If the Bible is telling the truth about God, then none of the arguments against Him matter.
    2. Sin separates from God and all sin will be punished. Once accepts a Substitute's punishment or one is themselves punished.
    3. There are good, logical reasons to believe in the truthfulness of the Bible.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  7. jem

jem

My goodness... you are not just a student of the Markets.

You tied the Old Testament and the point of the New Covenant together so clearly.

Ironically that knowledge may not be what people want....

anyway who reads that.... no longer has an excuse...
    they are informed... as to the whole point of what is offered to them for their salvation.

note... I would also add... I don't think its a get out of jail free card... because many sinners refuse or do not turn away from their previous sins and continue to carry on as before. Sometimes repenting is the hardest part. Its a gut check... you say the words... but do you really believe enough to change.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    studentofthemarkets likes this.
  8. stu

stu

Original sin lol
    Religion, based on fear and threat and as one of the oldest protection racket scams around, requires that in order for you to avoid imaginary hell and perhaps or perhaps not be eligible for imaginary heaven, you must believe in an imaginary being and imagine it impregnated an imaginary woman with its imaginary self, so it could be born to kill itself as a sacrifce to itself to save you from the imaginary sin you imagine it is supposed to have condemned you with in the first place.

Makes perfect sense as a failure of human reasoning.

[​IMG]

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  9. Charles Manson, Hitler and Stalin started life as innocent-looking babies.

10. And with that brilliant logic I think it's safe to say that we have arrived at this joke line from Steven Wright.
    "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

#10     May 15, 2021
    stu and Frederick Foresight like this.