Great Article on Prop firms- Bright, Echo, Maverick Trading, SMB, etc.

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by mavericktrader, Aug 25, 2011.

1. You said a lot things that make sense and true BUT you don't sound like a trader who has traded at prop firms. You sound like prop firm manager or someone who recruits for prop firms. I have talked to these people and you sound like them.

You have never mentioned the most important thing at a prop firm. HOW ARE YOU PAID and HOW OFTEN? Prop firms don't seem to care if their traders make money or are paid. They just want the commission that traders generate. I find it amazing how they expect traders to keep trading without getting paid. Payout structure at prop firms are not uniform. There's so many different structures. Some firms withhold pay. So, if you make $100,000, you might not get entire $100,000. Unreal but true.

The talk of buying power is irrelevant. You could always negotiate whatever buying power you want as long as you don't blowup.

So, with 5K, I could get 1 million in buying power if I don't blowup or lose money consistently.

The prop firm is mainly concerned about commission generation. They don't care about anything else.

So, if I trade 10,000 shares and make $10,000 per day, THAT IS BAD and frowned upon.

If I trade 1 million shares a month and make $0.00, I am a superstar and prop firms will love me.

This profit structure is weird. It's like these prop firms don't invest in their traders. A salary is an investment in the trader.

There's other stuff but don't have time for that.

This said, I bet there are a few decent prop firms out there.

#11     Aug 26, 2011
  2. I can't disagree with anything above.

If you want to sound credible, you (MachTrader) should name a few firms that aren't shady.

Also, you mentioned the training that you get with a $5k risk deposit. Which firm offers a training that is ACTUALLY PROFITABLE and not geared to generating massive commissions by churning a lot and sometimes burning a lot.

I say screw training and get into a good group of traders and make money. Also, don't get screwed with a laundry list of fees. AND MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID!!!!!!!

Now I can see why the word arcade is used to describe shady prop firms. It's like going to an arcade with $5,000 in quarters and playing video games.

#12     Aug 26, 2011
  3. You are right on.

Your post reminds of these lyrics lol:

Industry shady it need to be taken over
    Label owners hate me I'm raisin' the status quo up
    I'm overchargin' niggaz for what they did to the Cold Crush
    Pay us like you owe us for all the years that you hold us
    We can talk, but money talks so talk mo' bucks

H to the izz-O, V to the izz-A
    Fo' shizzle my nizzle used to dribble down in VA
    That's the anthem get'cha damn hands up
    Not guilty ya'll got-ta feel me
    That's the anthem get'cha damn hands UP!

#13     Aug 26, 2011

4. You are not understanding the poster. He feels that prop firms don't deliver on their promises and that's why it's looked as a scam.

And comparing 4 years of college at the cost of $35K to a few weeks of training for $5K is an apples to orange comparison. They don't compare.

#14     Aug 26, 2011
  5. niccia

niccia

I started as a brand spanking newbie...I'd guess that a lot of us prop traders here in Canada did. My firm was 100% legit, and I know many others that are as well, but very few of them will provide much training. Hopefully there are experienced traders there that you can learn from (one of the best perks of being in an office). Of course most people don't make it...that's the nature of this business. The firm gives you the OPPORTUNITY and it's up to you what you do with it. Most people just aren't cut out for it. I know firms that are scams as well, and others that are just managed terribly. But just because you have to put up a deposit (most do this now esp if you trade remote), pay a small desk fee every month and don't have someone holding your hand doesn't make it a scam and anyone who says it does doesn't know what they are talking about. I'd much rather send a newbie to a place where I know the managers are honest and willing to take on inexperienced traders with a true passion to learn, than a place where they will pay for training. Nothing can replace the hours of screen time you need to learn anyway and most people just don't stay in the game long enough to learn that, no matter how much training they get.

#15     Aug 27, 2011
  6. ammo

ammo

if ib,tos, all the others that let you open an acct with 5 or 10k are legit,and as far as i know they accept every one who has the money to open an acct,how are the prop firms less,if they offer more for the same downstroke..the main reason is because they don't let you trade for free..which is a main reason you would go to a prop firm instead of on your own..because you don't have the money to trade...so the cash problem lies at the traders feet...but it's always been popular to transfer blame away from one' self

#16     Aug 27, 2011
  7. I used to be a prop trader with Bright. I asked if I could use some kind of real time market simulation (something like NinjaTrader) so that I could practice trading and learn to be consistently profitable without losing cash and then eventually migrate to real cash with 100 share lots and increase from there. They said they didn't believe in that and so I ended up blowing out my account twice learning with real cash. With that said, I recognize that trading with virtual money and real cash are very different, and so they had a point there, but on the other hand, they don't generate trading commissions with virual trades either. It setups a conflict of interest between the trader and the prop firm.

Anyway, they had a voluntary mentor program where the mentee filled out a survey describing trading and risk methodologies and then they matched the mentee with a well established, consistently profitable trader. I entered this program and was matched with a mentor that watched me trade and after I had a 3 day string of profitable days with 100 share lots (most others had been losers), encouraged me to move up to 1000 share lots. I had only US$25K in the account at the time and I communciated my reluctance to do it. Needless to say, I did and lost a lot of money. I requested to be assigned a new mentor.

The second mentor was very different and clearly did not agree with what my previous mentor did. He started at the most basic level with me and limited my trading. I had to report to him every trade I made, why I made it and what my entry and exit rules were. He would yell at me like a drill instructor and made it very clear when I did something stupid based on emotions. I learned more from that man than any other person, book or website. He really cared about my success.

Today, even though I do not daytrade, (my timeframes are much longer), I utlize much of what I learned from this mentor and my experience at Bright (where I learned risk management the hard way) in my trading everday.

In short, I had my ups and downs with the prop firm, but ultimately today, I am a consistently profitable trader. Looking back, I would have preferred to learn on a simulator and save myself hundreds of thousands of dollars. But I suppose that is the way of the path we have chosen...

#17     Aug 27, 2011
    VPhantom likes this.
  8. Traders are this board are talking about "legit" prop firms that don't require a risk deposit or training and that they are the prop firms you want to trade through. The problem is these kind of firms are super-exclusive and are very difficult to get into. These firms typically recruit high level math kids out of college and have extensive tests to pass before being offered a seat. They don't offer remote trading which means if you don't live in NYC or Chicago, you will have to relocate. You usually have to start as a junior trader for at least a year before you get any capital to trade. You do get a salary and a percentage of the senior trader's profits that first year. This is the "legit" prop firms people are referring to. I would guess that 99% of all posters at Elite Trader would not come close to qualifying for a position

So, for the other 99% and for people who want to trade remote and not relocate or commute into an office, prop lite is what is available. Is it as good, no. But its the only thing available to you. You will have to put up a deposit and will have to go through some training. If you don't want to do it, then don't. Many people have found some great experience through these kind of prop firms and some people haven't. I love how traders on this thread keep advising people to go to "legit" firms like they have a choice. Prop lite is the only choice they have other than trading retail.

Anyway, good luck to all and happy trading

#18     Aug 27, 2011
    VPhantom likes this.
  9. Just my opinion; but i dont think you should be going prop unless you know you have an edge (preferably demonstrable using real trades over a substantial amount of trades; just backtesting wont cut either).

Now if you expect someone to teach you to trade at a prop firm and teach you to make money conistently for the rest of your life; something is wrong from the equation. Why would someone who actually really knows such a thing teach you (or anybody) to do that? Say there are santas in the real world; even then the chance that you learn to have the same intuition as this "santa" is very slim to none. You better figure it out for yourself.

The whole argument that the main reason to join a prop firm is so you can learn to me sounds like agenda pushed by prop firms selling educational material. These firms are in business to make money. Not to make you money; they provide a very valuable service by providing leverage for customers; and in return they get commisions and possibly a cut in profits. Thats about it.

Just my 2cents.

-gariki

#19     Aug 27, 2011

10. I don't know niccia but I am finding that I get shit and grief for $5K.

It's not the $5k per se that piss me off. It's what I get for $5k that piss me off.

One usually gets horse kaka plus wierd shits for $5k. It's a raw deal. Don't be delusional. Face reality.

#20     Aug 27, 2011