Government Unions vs. Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jprad

jprad

Look, Sparky, if you want to talk averages then let's talk about the non-blue collar jobs that the government provides in addition to the bottom feeders who work for the Bureau of Prisons.

Here's the link to all base pay as of Jan. 2010:

http://www.opm.gov/oca/10tables/indexSES.asp

Interesting that the minimum salary for senor level and scientific/professional position is $119K and the maximum is $179K.

And, that's just base pay...

As for your rant about sick leave and vacation, here's the link to the government's leave program:

http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp

Bottom line is that government employees are guaranteed the same FMLA as the private sector when it comes to maternity leave.

But, what you've conveniently left out is that government employees are able to accrue massive amounts of sick leave an vacation while most of us in the private sector have fairly draconian caps, which in most cases means we will never be able to accrue more than an extra month of vacation or sick time, ever.

#11     Dec 13, 2010
  2. zdreg

zdreg

you are dancing around the reality that gov't workers are overpaid by harping upon an incorrect salary number.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/n...arkstown&st=cse

"By comparison, the New York City police commissioner, Raymond W. Kelly, makes $189,700, and average annual pay for city police officers ranges from $43,062 for a cadet entering the academy to $90,829 for an officer with five and a half years on the job, including overtime and other earnings, according to Paul J. Browne, the department’s chief spokesman. In New York City, salaries for captains start at $108,342, and grow after four years to $135,524.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/...y/84264862.html
    "Federal employees are also earning higher wages and benefits than private sector workers do. The average federal worker now earns $71,206, compared with $40,331 in the private sector, according to an analysis by USA Today. "Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14 percent to 19 percent of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months," the paper reports -- and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted."

#12     Dec 13, 2010
  3. 1) if you click the FMLA link, they get sick leave up to 12 weeks, but its unpaid (like I said in my first post).

2) The massive sick leave we acrue, like I mentioned is needed. If I ge any sort of injury on the job, we need to burn sick time as thats all we get. I've already gotten injured on the job (fighting with inmates ) and I've had to burn up all my sick leave. I've been here for 2 years now. Thats a total of 26 days of sick time. So don't preaching to me about all this sick time that we conveniently get to acrue..

And like I said before, we don't get disability. So when you go in for that operation that leaves you home for 3 months, you're getting disability. I have to burn the sick time. And if I dont have it acrued i'm shit out of luck.

3) People that make $150k + accounts for only 2.8% of the total gov't workers, so dont' start with high salaries. There's always going to be outliers.

#13     Dec 13, 2010
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

and since they dont work to maximize profits, it takes 3 government employees to do the job of 1 private sector employee. I dont need any study to tell me that there are huge inefficiencies in goverment work , resulting in less work for more tax payer money.....

Just the other day I saw 4 city employees digging one hole for like 5 hours.....that would never happen if one would be trying to maximize profits..those cats would be fired on the spot...

it is not so much that they are overpaid for comparable private sector jobs, it's that they DONT maximize their work knowing very well it's hard to get fired...so in essence they are GROSSLY overpaid...

#14     Dec 13, 2010
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

the majority of government employees, YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE...wouldnt last one day in a comparable private sector job. Unless of course they double their output...

#15     Dec 13, 2010
  6. jprad

jprad

Excuse me, but the FMLA is upaid for everyone. It's a backstop for those who don't get paid maternity leave, which is just about everyone outside of the boardroom these days.

Bullshit.

FERS Disability Insurance For Government Workers
    http://www.mr-disability-insurance.com/FERS-Federal-Employees.php

#16     Dec 13, 2010
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

If we were to privatize the Government they would have to fire like 80% of the employees in order to turn a profit... :D

seriously wiseman...who you trying to fool meng. The govermment is the most inefficient overlapping corporation we have...

#17     Dec 13, 2010
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Next you can address how (1) most Fed employees are practically impossible to fire. How do you price-in bulletproof job security (pay/benefits + a short working career + nice retirement)? Don't say this doesn't happen. I've seen worthless civil service employees that we were told "couldn't be fired" when I was in the military. Lots, in fact.

(2) How some Fed agencies do practically no work and still enjoy this. I have a Fed employee friend who is lucky to get 1-2 hours of actual work each day (which includes meetings and teleconferences in which nothing gets done). He says that describes his whole dep't and some leave at noon each day, even though they aren't supposed to. From what I've seen and heard, most Fed agencies have a small harder-working "core" who get things done and lots of admin and even managers who did little to nothing all day but suck taxpayer dollars.

BTW, most Fed employees aren't L/E types who put their lives on the line. Your talk of life expectancy, etc. hardly applies to Fed employees on the whole.

#18     Dec 13, 2010
  9. You will want to give up on this argument, but be willing to boost your union dues as they will need higher qualified, knowledgeable attorneys and lobbyists in the future. I'm in public safety in a rural Florida county and the tide has clearly turned against us. I've been on the job 25 years, was looking to get roughly 70 to 75% of my base pay for retirement after 35 years but after cuts in 2008 it's now 50% of base pay (unless Gov Rick Scott cuts more, which is probable).

I pay close to 8% of my salary for this benefit so it's not a total gimme, but I recognize the rest of the payment was/is on the backs of taxpayers. If my pension was anything like the State high risk/public safety plan currently I'd love it. Those employees pay nothing in and get 3% of pay for each year of service. As I said I'm paying close to 8% for 2% of base pay for each year of service, and my salary is based on rural FL law enforcement so about 17% less than Orlando officers and about 23% less than South Florida agencies. And way less than CA, NY, NJ, etc...

What's funny is you are correct on many points and the Tea partiers are also correct on many points. The problem is the over generalization of the government employee benefit/pay situation. We're all painted with the same broad brush as having lavish benefits and decisions to cut are being made with the same broad brush.

Should the dedicated 45 year old cop/firefighter that's been on the job and promised a secure pension for years get the same pension benefit cuts as the 20 year olds coming on? In my City, the leaders said yes. So even though the magic of compounding earnings has passed me by, I'm supposed to make up the difference between 45 YOA and 55 YOA; it can't happen. How about something more reasonable like those vested in the plan 10 years or more stay on the current plan. Those coming on board now have a new defined contribution plan instead of defined benefit. But no, it's easier (and cheaper) to throw the baby out with the bath water. Done with my rant. :eek: :confused:

#19     Dec 13, 2010
  10. I can't argue with you on this point :D

#20     Dec 13, 2010