Government finds new way to take political prisoners:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Is it fascism yet?

<b>Texas arresting people in bars for being drunk </b>

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322/us_nm/bars_dc

2. Unfortunately, they could probably bring in the death penalty for jaywalking, and the ditto heads would just happy clap their support, nodding in agreement tough on crime is a good thing.

3. I didn't know the KGB was operating in Texas! :eek:

4. Yeah, they got themselves a ranch out there......when the cold war "ended", there was a lot of experience in the soviet block gone to waste. Suddenly being on freindly terms, the us authorities were amazed to find they had been missing out on many time tested and proven methods waiting to be exploited, and, like the nazi or japanese scientists at the end of wwII, were incorporated wholesale into the system.

5. achilles28

achilles28

I read this today. Disgusting.

Americas going down.

6. maxpi

maxpi

Shit!! Some people have to be babysitted. Get over it. Nobody is volunteering to take care of the damn drunks or drive them home so the government has to do it. I don't want some drunk asshole running into my car, I'm not high/drunk, I can drive...they can't.

Maybe you great traders/libertarians can build some roads for drunks, it would be fun to watch them drive home from the bar!! That should be part of the Libertarian manifesto, roads for drunks, built by the people that live close to the bars. They could put up webcams and charge us to view the driving habits of drunks.

Geez, freedom is about getting drunk without your baby sitter...

7. Yar, except they are being "arrested", what are the fines for that? Is is recorded as criminal record?

And if sending undercover goons to do the job is a good idea, then surely "legislating" better hotel security must be a better idea?

Oh, of course not, that would be an unecessary burden on free enterprise, so public funds are required to send paranoid goon squads in to arrest people. Yup.
    Hey, what happened to the old "drunk tank", is that concept still around, or is this a new version of it?

8. jem

jem

If they were really serious they would wait outside the bars and pick the drunks up when they put the key in the ignition.

That is how good police work is done.

I remember leaving a bar many years ago, I had six people in the car pulling out the parking lot. Got pulled over immediately. The cop had me roll down the window, I spoke with him. He figured I was not dangerous and told us to be careful driving. Had I been wasted he would have got me for DUI. I thought that minimal intrusion was reasonable being that I was driving a car full of college aged people and had just walked out of a bar. Now it may have been slightly unconstitutional but it was a good safety risk reward deal.

If I had been drunk my lawyer could have run motion argued that the cop did not have probably cause for the stop and I am sure I would have lostanyway. But, nevertheless I think that was how police should do their jobs. Going into the bar seems unAmerican to me.

9. Bingo! Are they going to start pre-emptively busting men with erections, since they <i>might</i> use their hard dick to rape a woman?

10. maxpi

maxpi

I think the police are supposed to make society so people that are trying to live a decent life can do so unmolested by intoxicated people, criminals, perverts, etc. I'd say they were doing their job in the cited instance. Is there a better/cheaper way than just watching the twits get drunk then busting them? Sounds like fun to me actually.

#10     Mar 23, 2006