Gov. Christie Is In A Difficult Spot - This May Show His True Colors

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 100

#11     Jun 4, 2013
  2. pspr

pspr

Please excuse brokenarrow for his hate speech. He fell off a roof yesterday on his head and is still carrying around some of his brains in a bucket after they were scooped up off the driveway. :D

#12     Jun 4, 2013
  3. wjk

wjk

#13     Jun 4, 2013
  4. pspr

pspr

Just as suspected. Christie is just another Rino. He might as well follow Florida's former Gov. Christ and change parties.
    ----

Republicans are fuming over New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's decision to hold an early special election to fill the seat of the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg, with several Washington-based operatives suggesting he's putting his own interests ahead of the GOP's. The decision to hold a separate special election in October 2013—just two weeks before his own election—would give any interested Republican candidates little time to announce, organize a campaign, and raise the necessary money to take on a top-tier Democrat, likely Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

Christie announced at a Tuesday press conference that the election to fill Lautenberg's seat will be held Oct. 16, just before his own gubernatorial election on Nov. 4. The primaries would be scheduled for Aug. 13. Christie acknowledged he was legally able to schedule a special election in November 2014, but he wanted New Jersey voters to elect their senator as soon as possible. Christie was less clear about whether he was legally allowed to schedule an election to coincide with his own, emphasizing that he didn't want to waste any time in seating the newly elected member. On several occasions, he repeated his decision had nothing to do with politics.

"There's no political purpose. The political purpose is to give the people a voice," Christie said. "The issues facing the United States Senate are too important not to have an elected representative making those decisions."

The governor's decision, along with growing GOP expectations that his appointee will be a placeholder, means that the GOP's chance at a pickup now looks like a long shot. But Christie protected his own interests by scheduling a separate 2013 election, ensuring that Booker wouldn't usher a surge of Democratic voters that could hurt Christie's November prospects.

That did little to mollify Republicans with a stake in retaking the Senate next year. While none wanted to be quoted publicly, all dripped with disdain for Christie's decision, calling it self-serving. And several pointed to the fact that holding an extra election one month earlier could cost the state about $25 million--a price tag that could dent his image as a fiscal hawk.

"I think this ends his 2016 chances. It's year after year with this guy," complained one senior Republican official.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/poli...ver-chris-christie-s-senate-decision-20130604

#14     Jun 4, 2013
  5. wjk

wjk

I thought that very thing, especially the part relating to traitor Crist.

#15     Jun 4, 2013
  6. Max E.

Max E.

With all of the nefarious and crooked dealings we have recently seen going on within the obama admin, only an idiot would complain about a governor actually allowing the will of the people to decide what should be done.

Anyone who complains about this move is someone who puts party ahead of the will of the people.....

The people complaining want him the put the GOP's interests infront of the peoples, its wrong when obama does that and its just as wrong if christie does it.

#16     Jun 4, 2013
  7. God forbid Christie puts the interests of the citizens of New Jersey ahead of the Republican Party.

#17     Jun 4, 2013
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm with Max on this one.

Not to mention, would one more career (R) politician in the senate really gonna helps us that much?

#18     Jun 4, 2013
  9. I wonder if he'll use some of the Sandy money to pay for the special election?

Basically, he is pissing away 25 mill to enhance his own chances of reelection. A pol would see that as a good trade since it is not his money he is spending.

I am confused how anyone would see this as doing the people's work, etc.

#19     Jun 4, 2013
  10. pspr

pspr

I guess those two love fests with Obama taught Christy the Obama way. Look out for #1 first.

I'm sure he will use Federal funds meant for Sandy but not directly. He'll use state funds that were earmarked for emergencies and replace that money with federal funds for Sandy. What was his share of the Sandy funds? $25 billion or more? They'll never miss a little $25 million hit.

#20     Jun 4, 2013