Gotta love ZERO RISK in the SP500 = $$$

Discussion in 'Trading' started by makloda, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Every single time Gartman and Faber say the market is about to go "much lower" is a time to buy

#6081     May 1, 2015
  2. S2007S

S2007S

Agree

I can name at least 3-4 times gartman has spoken where he has been 100% wrong...

He was wrong back in October 2014 when he thought a bigger correction was coming, a bear market he thought was coming... the day he said that a few days later the market rallied and never looked back breaking out to new highs....

He said oil was going to get crushed and head even lower when it was in the 42-45 range, its near 60 now,

If I have time today Ill pull up the articles from when he said this, I mean EVERY time he speaks the opposite happens....I laugh every time I see him on cnbc....

#6082     May 1, 2015
  3. S2007S

S2007S

Here you go, found the one from OCTOBER 2014 when he completely got it wrong, I mean he was 110% WRONG!!!!! WRONG!!!!!! WRONG!!!!!

Gartman admits getting ‘bear market’ call totally wrong
    Alex Rosenberg | @CNBCAlex
    Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 | 3:39 PM ET

Just one week after predicting a bear market in stocks was beginning, Dennis Gartman now admits his market call was all wrong. However, he's still not getting long, instead maintaining a neutral positon on the market as a whole.

On Oct. 16, Gartman told CNBC Europe's "Squawk Box" that a bear market was beginning.

"You stay in cash and you stay in short-term bonds and you don't move out," Gartman advised. "I don't like to think about it, but I'm afraid that this might be the very beginnings of a bear market that could last for some period of time. I think it's going to be more than a mere 7 to 10 percent correction…. This is the start of a bear market, and it could last for several more months I'm afraid."

Read MoreBuyers beware, the bear market has begun: Gartman

Gartman made those remarks just hours after the S&P 500 closed at the lowest level since April, and nearly reached correction territory on an intraday basis. Six sessions later, the S&P is 5 percent above where it closed on Oct. 15 (and more than 7 percent above its Oct. 15 lows).

"In retrospect, I should have thrown all caution to the wind, covered any short positions, and spent cash and bought stocks," Gartman said Thursday on CNBC's "Futures Now." "Clearly, in retrospect, I should have bought it. I'm not that smart, nor should I ever be. Clearly, I missed the V-bottom. And I'm going to be okay with that fact."

[​IMG]
    Adam Jeffery | CNBC
    Dennis Gartman
    So what, exactly, did Gartman miss about the market?

"I'm not sure what I missed," he admitted. "I really don't know… This is the type of volatility that is absolutely beyond my ken. I've only been at this for 40-some years, so I'm relatively new to it. But quite honestly, I've never seen anything like the last two weeks."

Read MoreAfter October dip, stocks may be ready for a rip

"When you're down 300, down 200, up 200, up 300—this is not a market that I have any sense of whatsoever," he added.

The bright side for Gartman is that he went neutral on the market when it was still above current levels, so his neutral position has worked out thus far.

"I went to neutral two weeks ago, so the stock market is still where I went to neutral at," he said. "Usually I'll have a bias some way or the other, but right now I have absolutely no bias…. I'm absolutely neutral, and I'm very comfortable with that fact."

This isn't the first time Gartman has changed his tune in a short-time period. In August of 2013 he predicted gold would outperform stocks; in the few weeks that followed, the S&P gained while gold slid, leading him to retract his view and get back into the stock market. In February of this year, he predicted a "quite ugly correction," before deciding that "you can't be short" a week later. In May, he again called for a correction, and again admitted he was "abundantly wrong" a week later.

On Thursday, Gartman says his big trades now are owning propane stocks and shares of Apple.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    #6083     May 1, 2015
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Here is the other call on oil from Mid march, again as soon as he said this oil jumped, now trading near $60 a barrel....

FROM MARCH 2015

Gartman: Crude could hit $15. Here's why
    Amanda Diaz | @CNBCDiaz
    Friday, 20 Mar 2015 | 7:48 AM ET

Dennis Gartman has bad news for oil: It's going to go "stunningly" lower.

In an interview Thursday with CNBC.com's "Futures Now," the Commodities King said that a combination of a rapidly rising inventories and a strong dollar could lead to $15 oil by the end of the year.

"For months I've said that crude oil is heading from the upper left to the lower right of the chart," said the CNBC contributor and editor and publisher of The Gartman Letter. "I wouldn't be surprised if oil went down to about $15 a barrel."

Crude oil prices have been in a steep and steady decline over the past six months, down more than 50 percent trading just above $40 a barrel. Traders had hoped an improving economic picture in both the U.S. and Europe could give crude a lift.

At the start of February, crude staged a sharp and violent rally off its lows. But according to Gartman, there simply is too much supply to contend with. As such, he expects future crude rallies to be met with a similar fate.

"That is not how a bull market is supposed to act," he said. "That is how a bear market acts."

Read MoreUS crude settles down 70 cents, at $43.96 a barrel

Gartman said he's looking to the crude futures market for clues on when the selling may abate. Currently forward prices for crude contracts are higher than near-term or spot prices, a dynamic referred to as contango. Futures traders say this is typically a bearish sign as it reflects an excess near-term supply. As inventories build, storage could soon become a serious issue.

"We're going to have an abundance of crude. Storage is going to be topped out very soon and the front month spread is going to continue to deteriorate," he said.

Gartman says until nearer-dated crude contracts become more valuable than longer-dated ones, oil will continue to slide.

"No if, and, or but about it," said Gartman. "As [the contango] widens, your propensity, your urge, your intense and any [other] desire to be a buyer of crude will be deferred."

#6084     May 1, 2015
  5. S2007S

S2007S

and here he is again WRONG ON GOLD....FROM SEPTEMBER 2013

Gartman admits he got gold and stocks all wrong
    Alex Rosenberg | @CNBCAlex
    Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 | 2:31 PM ET

Dennis Gartman told CNBC's "Futures Now" on Thursday that his gold call last month couldn't have been more off the mark.

Toward the end of August, Gartman had made the case that gold would outperform stocks.

"I think the stock market has a little bit further to go on the downside, perhaps another 25 or 30 S&P points," Gartman said on the Aug. 22 episode of "Futures Now." "So if I had 'X' amount of money to put to work, I'd put it to work in the gold market."

What's happened since then? To put it bluntly, that turned out to be dead wrong.

From Aug. 22 to Sept. 12, the S&P added 30 points, while gold slid $40. Overall, the metal underperformed the S&P by about 5 percent.

"Clearly I'm wrong on the gold, and there's no reason to be anything other than truthful about it," Gartman said.

(Read more: 'Pre-emptive selling' pushes gold to 4-week low)

"What's happened? Peace, or whatever, has broken out. And peace—or at least a lessening of the discord—is always bearish of the gold market," Gartman said.

Whereas U.S. military action once seemed likely in Syria, the emergence of a credible diplomatic option has changed the odds completely. And since war-based uncertainty tends to boost gold, the smaller chance of a strike took a serious toll on it.

(Read more: More 'innocent victims' if US strikes Syria: Putin)

Gartman also pointed out that gold had been a crowded trade, saying, "A lot of people were bullish, a lot of people were long."

[​IMG]
    Adam Jeffery | CNBC
    Dennis Gartman
    Finally, he said, expectations that the Federal Reserve will taper their quantitative easing program has become a massive concern for bullion.

"It appears to me the economy's doing better. That reduces the amount of accommodation that we think the Federal Reserve is going to push into the market."

(Read more: Keep calm and buy the taper: Pro)

All in all, buying gold toward the end of August turned into a "Murphy's Law" trade: Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

"Throw peace on top of lesser accommodation on top of quietly reduced commodity prices generally on top of rising stock prices—all those things rolled into one great bouillabaisse says gold prices want to go lower," he said. "They have been going lower, and it's really getting quite ugly, isn't it?"

So instead of waiting for the trend to reverse, Gartman is now taking the other side.

When looking at the market today, "I actually don't like gold better than stocks," he said. "About a week and a half ago I started buying stocks again."

In a mid-august appearance on CNBC's "Closing Bell," Gartman said he was going to the sidelines on stocks after "terrible" trades in recent weeks.

—By CNBC's Alex Rosenberg.

#6085     May 1, 2015
  6. S2007S

S2007S

And yet another WRONG CALL, FEBRUARY 2014

4 completely wrong calls so far.......

The day he says markets are going to rally 20% or the dow is headed to 22,000 or the s$p is headed to 2300 by the summer of 2015, SELL SELL SELL.....

Dennis Gartman: ‘I was wrong’
    Bruno J. Navarro | @Bruno_J_Navarro
    Monday, 10 Feb 2014 | 6:32 PM ET

A prediction that stocks would see a 15 percent correction was off, Dennis Gartman said Monday.

"Vociferously, I'd say I was wrong," he said. "We got to a trend line that really did hold. I didn't think it would hold. It did, in fact, hold."

Last week on CNBC's "Fast Money," Gartman said that the S&P 500 could see a 15 percent pullback from its earlier high, testing the 1,475 level on the downside. But he also said that the market was still in a bull trend.

"I just think you're going to have a very severe, very substantive and really quite ugly correction that will probably make a lot of people wail and gnash their teeth before it's done," he said last week.

(Read more: 'Ugly correction' coming: Dennis Gartman)

All three major U.S. indices closed higher Monday, with the S&P 500, climbing 2.8 percent to end the day at 1,799.84.

"I have been neutral, honestly, of stocks. When I talked about that, I thought we would have a 15 percent correction," Gartman said. "But I also said it's still a bull market, and in a bull market you can only have one of three positions: Really long, nicely long or neutral."

Gartman, editor and publisher of The Gartman Letter, said that his call for a correction came from an expectation that trend lines would break.

"I looked at a lot of the indices," he said. "The Nasdaq did, in fact, break its trend line. The Dow began to diverge. You started to get less-than-exciting earnings coming out in various stocks. You had the currency markets, I think, in difficulty a couple of weeks ago. …"

"You had copper breaking trend lines. You had an awful lot of things happening, all in a five- or six-day period of time that certainly did look terrifying for a couple of days. And then, all of a sudden, it's as if the cover had been lifted off. The amount of selling that needed to be done was done — was done at higher levels than I thought it would be accomplished at."

Gartman also said that he was holding positions in aluminum, shipping and fracking plays, as well as bank shares, but had hedged them with derivatives.

Still, Gartman said he would remain neutral for now.

"Yes, I'm still neutral on equities, but if we can go sideways for a couple of days, if we don't backtrack, if the volume subsides on a sideways movement, I'll come back in and say the trend is still up," he said. "The one thing I will tell you is: You can't be short. It's still a bull market. That's what's really important. It's one thing to lose money. It's another thing not to make money. And if you're short, you're losing money."

Brian Kelly of Brian Kelly Capital took an opposing position.

"Unlike the Godfather, Dennis Gartman, I am still short. And I think you can be short this market," he said. "I think there's a real risk that (Federal Reserve Chair) Janet Yellen comes out a lot more hawkish than people have priced in here, and I don't think the emerging-market currency issues are over. I think we're just in the eye of the storm."

#6086     May 1, 2015
  7. mymajia

mymajia

Can't we just kick the wrong guy out and never let him have a say or give him an interview about the market any more?

#6087     May 1, 2015
  8. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

S2007S has had an equally bad forecasting history. How many more posts will he put up saying markets are "free money" and going up but predicting a giant collapse as well ( which indicates a risk ) ? How often will he post about his triple bull ETFs going up when his net account position is according to him short ?

#6088     May 1, 2015
  9. #6089     May 1, 2015
  10. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

#6090     May 1, 2015