Gotta love ZERO RISK in the SP500 = $$$

Discussion in 'Trading' started by makloda, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Visaria

Visaria

I took a 140 point on the YM :D

#19001     Mar 7, 2018

2. Visaria, quick question - when you say spread betting has zero taxes on winnings, how is that? I think spread betting is, for example, buying one long-term contract and selling several shorter-term contracts over time. If those positions ultimately expire in a manner in which you've made money, won't tax be do on the winnings? E.G. you lose $10 on the long contract, but you make $15 on the short contracts, so you would owe tax on the $5 difference?

Thanks!

#19002     Mar 7, 2018
  3. Visaria

Visaria

Not if going through a spread bet firm under UK law. I dk about rest of Europe.

#19003     Mar 7, 2018
  4. spreadbetting is not trading spreads. I think the word 'spread' in spreadbetting confuses 'proper' traders lol
    Think of it like regular futures trading, except that you are trading madeup numbers that just so happen to move exactly the same as the real market.
    It is considered gambling in UK law, thus tax free.
    Interesting that it's considered gambling when you think about how it's exactly the same as trading futures, in practice!

#19004     Mar 7, 2018
    Visaria likes this.
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Nah, i have no idea what u are talking about re short term/long term contracts.

It's basically the same as a brokerage account but with no commissions but the bid offer spread is wider to reflect that. For instance the spread on YM is 1 point, with the spreadbet firm it's 5 points.

Certain spreadbet firms offer a day trading YM where the spread is 1 point or even less. If you hold a trade overnight on these, they will charge interest.

#19005     Mar 7, 2018

6. Ah, thanks Brian. Is there a market for this in the U.S.? Or is this just a non-U.S. thing? Thanks.

#19006     Mar 7, 2018
  7. It's mainly a Europe thing from what I gather.
    I don't even think US citizens are allowed to open spreadbet accounts
    Pretty sure my dad couldn't even trade his account when he was on holiday in America a good few years back due to the IP address although that was back in the day and don't think they'd be that strict nowadays as i'm pretty sure he was able to trade when he went to Canada last year!!

#19007     Mar 7, 2018
  8. Ah, I see. Yea, I remember reading about these awhile back, and being disappointed it was not a U.S. thing. I know in the U.S. any gains from these would be taxed. Thanks Brian and Visaria!

#19008     Mar 7, 2018
  9. Visaria, I think you said short crude a few pages back - good call - down 2.76% at the moment.

#19009     Mar 7, 2018
  10. I'm gonna keep my paper trades to myself, we have enough of that here already

#19010     Mar 7, 2018