Gotta love the NFL

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 31, 2003.

1. he should go back to florida if possible. ryan leak is the man !

#11     Dec 31, 2003
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Actually it's Chris Leak. But yeah, he is going to be great. I just hope their offensive line gets better. Spurrier is done with coaching. He has nothing left to prove. He already proved he's a champion. There is nothing left for him to accomplish. He should just settle down somewhere in Florida and and get out the old golf clubs.

#12     Dec 31, 2003

3. I remember the days of Al Toon, Gasteneau, O'brien....etc etc... they always seemed to be missing one key person. And today, yup, they're missing one thing : DEFENSE.

#13     Dec 31, 2003
  4. Maverick74,

I wasn't in favor of hiring Spurrier but I could see how it might have worked out well. He is clearly a very intellignet guy who had won everywhere. Frankly I was surprised how badly it turned out. He seemed to just totally have underestimated what it took to win. After the season ended stories started coming out that he did not enforce discipline. Guys would show up late for practice, cell phones would be ringing during meetings, etc. The team played with a total lack of discipline on both sides of the ball, couldn't stop the run on defense, had trouble scoring TD's in the red zone, seemed baffled by blitzes and lost many close games in the fourth quarter. All in all, kind of a laundry list of the hallmarks of poor coaching. The team did play hard for him, however. He had assistant coaches with the absolute least NFL experience of any team in the league and it showed. They seemed unable to make adjustments during games. And somehow the latter part of the season featured a QB who had never played in an NFL game and whose chief claim to fame was being married to the blond chick from Survivor. How can you spend the kind of money they did and end up in that situation?

I give Spurrier credit for having a lot of class, for not blaming anyone but himself and for having the good sense to get out instead of suffering through another year or two of this.

#14     Dec 31, 2003
  5. Resigning and walking away after 2 years from a 5-year, $25 million dollar contract tells you that with Spurrier, IT REALLY ISN'T ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

Spurrier is a class act all the way and I wish him the best in whatever he wishes to pursue in 2004.

:)

#15     Jan 1, 2004
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Revolving door at QB mitigated talented Coles and Gardner. Loss of Davis was a blunder. Offensive line can't pass block.....None of it was Spurrier's fault. Winning in the NFL is like anything else, a little coaching surrounded by a lot of randomness. So much talk that Spurrier system not adaptable to NFL, if you give him Davis back, along with a tier one QB the skins are 10-6.

With the exception of Gregg Williams, IMO not one fired or resigned coach in this bloodbath, underperformed with the team he was given. Hell Jauron made 23 changes at QB in 5 years. Not one of those ex Bear QB's is still in the league. I'd be hard pressed to fire a man who had so little to work with at the most important skill position in the game.

I wish Spurrier had stuck it out but I suppose he saw the reality that the Skins are not a quick fix.

#16     Jan 1, 2004
  7. get dennis green, that guy will get the skins into the playoff consistently

#17     Jan 1, 2004
  8. I totally agree. The man is real.

#18     Jan 1, 2004
  9. Magna

Magna Administrator

#19     Jan 7, 2004
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Give me Dolphins a Tier 1 QB and a lil help on the front line and watch out.......

#20     Jan 7, 2004