gotta laugh at the cnbc guys

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tivthetrader, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I have seen your post previously re the US relative underperformance during this run. However, I'm not sure how that refutes the allegation nor does it address the lack of profit taking on what has been a 100% move from the bottom in two years.

#21     Feb 15, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Alright, let me approach this a different way. What do all the longs want the market to do right now? Go down right. Because they missed the move. What do the shorts want the market to do? Go down. What do daytraders want? Volatility. So everyone and their mother is begging for the market to selloff. So the market is going to move towards the max pain which is low vol grind higher. It makes perfect sense. No need to have a conspiracy.

Look, let's try this. Why is NFLX going higher? Piece of shit stock right? Everybody hates it. Even the bulls hate the stock. So why is it going higher everyday? Because 25% of the float is short. The FED is not buying NFLX. We see this every day across all sorts of markets. This is what markets do to people. It makes things HARD. LOL.

I'm not saying that our monetary policy is not to blame here. I absolutely agree that by printing dollars and lending those dollars at near zero interest rates only to have those dollars go into risk assets to create the carry trade. I get that. And that is absolutely a big part of this. Just as the cheap money was the big driver in rising home prices.

But to think that someone at the FED has a TT terminal open and is lifting offers on the DOM of the spoos is beyond conspiracy. It belongs with the birthers and the 9/11 truthers. No need for tin foil hat here.

Last year was one of the worst years on records for fund managers under performing. They all got off the train and most of them are seriously chasing performance now. They were hoping to get a correction in Jan while they were sitting in cash and now they are behind the 8 ball again.

If you don't like the volatility in the spoos, move over to the commodities. Cotton is going limit every other day. Corn is on fire. Coffee is ripping. Cocoa is being cornered. You need to be more agnostic about what you are trading. There is volatility out there, just not in index futures.

#22     Feb 15, 2011
  3. kashirin

kashirin

the main problem is your number are incorrect. Another you cherry pick facts
    For example, Germany is up just 6%
    But India down 12 %

Man, you're not so smart. You can't even comprehend simple facts
    some markets were down 75-85% so they bounce from lower base and their growth is naturally faster

Bottom line - you don't know what you're talking about. Fed props market and they're doing stellar job at least here

#23     Feb 15, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

What are you smoking? Germany is up 6%? Over what period?

Here you go Eintein.

http://www.finviz.com/groups.ashx?g=country&v=210&o=name

Where is your data? Cherry picking? I listed the top performing markets.

Good luck with your short buddy. Your parents are proud of you. They raised a real winner there.

#24     Feb 15, 2011
  5. kashirin

kashirin

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=^GDAXI+Historical+Prices

January 1 6914
    February 13 7400

Can you do simple arithmetic operation by yourself or you need some help?

The chart you provide just for US listed stocks. Can you comprehend that? Can you understand the difference between country stock performance and its ADRs in the USA?

And why whould I short?
    Man I said Fed props the market
    Read my lips - Fed props the market
    I'm long man, up almost 100% and made just 1 trade in February 2009

In the mean time you trade cotton or whatever you do. And how much you made? 15% pa?

and you teach others?

Man you made almost 10 000 post here and most of them are useless shit

How can you trade if you unable to analyze simple information?
    If I say Fed props the market why would I short? How does your brain work?

#25     Feb 15, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

[​IMG]

#26     Feb 16, 2011
  7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Maverick, several people on this thread are complete nutbars who don't understand markets. I tried bringing up facts like there is no POMO in Canada this year and that its still easy to find cheap stocks if you know what to look for. Falls on death ears these guys just want to be miserable and trash anything that looks like prosperity.

#27     Feb 16, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah nutbars is right. I'm sure with the right medication and proper dosing they could live a normal life. But you have to take the first step. I wish them well.

#28     Feb 16, 2011
  9. Are people that whack?

Who pretends like there were any buyers at 666. Everyone's pretending that's an indicator by itself, when it's not. I find morons on this site typically echo the broadcasters that fill themselves on useless statistical inferences that have no more explanatory power than making a story about being up 10% in one day versus being down 10% in one day. It's stupidly psychotic and ignorant to think that up 100% from a low that every single person in retirement accounts, stock accounts, and any other investment at the time did extremely poorly on a risk adjusted basis.

I think it's ironic that you talk that way, when there's nothing at all remarkable about that. It's like saying the chart went up 30%, then up another 30%. Then up the extrapolated percent to get to 100%. Inflation is only that convenient, when looking at St. Louis M1, it's very obvious the Fed is printing money.

The only glimmer of hope I saw in the past two months has been a CNBC RT iPhone update I got that reported the Fed booked profits to the tune of 80 billion back to the treasury. It's unfortunate the paradoxical effect of hyperinflation being somehow mitigated by a rising equity market does not mean there is economic growth. GDP might say it, but it is only because prices are rising that revenues are rising. I've examined macro stats that show a negative real interest rate.

What good is an interest rate if it pays minus 5%? It's the classic example of the man who thinks he made a killing in forex, seeing that the interest rate is 7%, booking it as a profit, then trying to convert back to domestic and finding that his currency depreciated against leaving a negative return.

I find it laughable that CNBC legitimately presents information that gets critiqued a million different ways, when rationality is to be expected. Equity markets are inherently inflationary, but where profit lies, so does the accountant.

PS: Where was I making 8% in three months in TIP in 2010? Bond prices were clearly irrational at the time, and strong arming in the bond markets with dollar paper guns helps calm some of my criticisms of our monetary systems.

I'll critique my problems myself.

Typically, the first argument is to question the author. The next is to ask if they have any credibility. Typically, unless you've been invited onto television, you can safely assume that you have none. If you don't have television, you can talk about your blog, books, or other written compilations of thoughts about finance, but unless you know how to capture value either through financial analysis or hard quantitative science, I can say that it doesn't matter.

My school gets Forbes number one for two years and I get little respect in the general public when discussing financial topics that get really boring and aggravating when I stop to think if the commentators try to fill us with useless statistics just as every fund manager tries to do when they solicit clients, that getting anywhere on this site about cold hard facts won't dissuade congress from ignoring the debt ceiling Tim Geithner's been hammering the table about privately.

#29     Feb 16, 2011
  10. It is selling of as of now, you go tit right.

#30     Feb 16, 2011