got slapped around today

Discussion in 'Trading' started by daytraderpete, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Loukas

Loukas

Hey Pete,

It's funny how we all have to go through the same difficulties on the road to market mastery and consistent profitablity. Even though we are all so different, yet we are indeed so alike in our psychology and the way we react to market conditions.

That's why I can feel what you are going through. I've been there.

And take it from me, if you follow the simple step of just shutting the computer and taking off, you'll improve your bottom line by a lot. It's not just the money you lose on a "lousy" day, it's also the psychological effect of having to come back the next with the hope of making it back. Revenge trading.

Whereas, if you take the day off after a small loss, you'll put it in your books as "cost of doing business" and come back a-fresh the next day. The equity curve will have some jacked edges because of this, but it will definately point up.

Bear in mind that it takes great discipline to take off. Whatever you do, don't go for "just another trade". Just shut the computer off after your 3 losing trades or X amount of loss and go. Do something you enjoy - afterall that's the great benefit of trading, that you have the power to decide when you want to "work"... Reward yourself for adhering to your system and cutting your losses short. I go mountain biking- great for relieving stress, you're out in nature and it's great exercise.

And of course, punish yourself by staying away from trading for x days if you override the system - so that it hurts so much the next time that you won't do it. Use that time to study and improve your system and analysis of the markets but don't trade.

That was my turning point, actually adhering to my system.

Good luck,

Loukas

#21     Jul 23, 2003