Got my fingers burnt!

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by themickey, Oct 24, 2012.

1. I don't do this either. What I do is tell my broker to set risk limits really, really low (where the max drop is $40-$50 or whatever), then set the strategy on 100 lots, and keep running it until I see problems. I also hardcode the maximum number of orders/fills to prevent an explosion.

It's hard to test certain systems because you can't know how it will work without real exchange interaction.

#11     Oct 25, 2012
  2. [​IMG]

#12     Oct 25, 2012
  3. lindq

lindq

Interesting observation, as I had the same thought this morning with an entry error.

The odds of entering a trade and going immediately positive or negative would seem to be about even, eh?

But of course it seldom is the case. Go figure.

#13     Oct 25, 2012
  4. bone

bone

I agree that you got a very inexpensive lesson - if it sticks you will make that back exponentially.

BTW, I have seen and heard about many similar instances when new systems were tried out in thin overnight and late afternoon markets.

#14     Oct 25, 2012
  5. WD40

WD40

Nobody leave their autotrade unattended. It may be auto, but doesn't mean unattended.

#15     Oct 25, 2012
  6. bone

bone

Agreed. I have done it in the past ( overnights ) as a lone ranger but there were times I seriously regretted it. I am talking about simple Trading Technologies AutoTrader and AutoSpreader configurations - nothing sophisticated. I used to keep the fill alert chime volume turned way up so that I could hear it, but by the time I awoke to check it out usually it was a good fill but occasionally I wet myself prematurely. And stayed up getting out of the mess.

Every desk or group that I know of staffs their desk 24/5 if they are autotrading.

#16     Oct 25, 2012
  7. themickey

themickey

My system is designed to be unattended. It runs 24 hours a day Mon-Sat and has been doing that for some months reliably.
    I had forward tested but this was an event which it had not come across before where I put it on standby, normally always engaged.
    It has in my opinion a high rate of return so the rewards outweigh the risks. These are teething problems and also due to lack of experience on my part.
    I sure am anticipating the day I can hand my notice in at work and trade full time thereby being closer to the control room but it doesn't alter the fact, the system runs 24 hours a day and I still need to sleep.
    Maybe I need to set up my trade alarms to contact my mobile phone.

#17     Oct 27, 2012
  8. themickey

themickey

A heads up on how I run the 'control room' Futures Trading.

There are 4 laptops (8 monitors total)
    1 = trading
    1 = testing/system development
    1 = Amibroker - all world market indices, years of EOD data history - 1973
    1 = Internet

There are 2 x modems running
    1 x UPS Backup

#18     Oct 27, 2012