Got both Comcast broadband and Vonage VoIP? See this.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J.P., Sep 22, 2010.

1. J.P.

J.P.

My Comcast broadband used to go out almost once a day. And it would not come back on its own. The only way to get it back was to disconnect both the Comcast cable and Vonage connections and then reconnect all those cables. It got old fast. I had the Comcast folks out here four or five times swapping splitters and checking connections to no avail. Then I switched from Vonage to something called Ooma. At that moment the Comcast outages almost entirely stopped. It has now been four months and Comcast has gone out only once for about eight seconds. The lights went out on the cable modem but this time they all came back on their own, then both Internet and Vonage were good without any action on my part. Now this may be coincidence as Comcast could have done something to upgrade their service unbeknownst to me at the same time that I unhooked Vonage, but I doubt it. And it never entered my mind that a VoIP modem can somehow intermittently knockout a cable connection, but apparently so.

So I'm posting this just to let anyone who has Comcast broadband and Vonage know that any outages may not be Comcast's fault; and the solution may reside in an unexpected place.