Gore - Now's The Time?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader5287, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Arnie

Arnie

This post is an excellent example of how the kook fringe "thinks", and I use the term loosely. Read it carefully.

#21     Feb 26, 2006
  2. jem

jem

Interesting. when I read it, I said to myself the is zzz trying to get his ass out to sling he put himself in. Sort of confused, not really answering why?

But I my reread, I see it a a perfect explaination of why the Dems are a failed and empty opposition party. They really are for nothing because they are an amalgam of nuts.

#22     Feb 26, 2006
  3. Pabst

Pabst

When have any of these "populist" candidates won? Adlai? Hump? McGovern? Mondale? Dukakis?

Since FDR the number of Republican's who've lost Presidential elections without ever serving as President (before or after) is THREE. (Dewey, Goldwater, Dole)

Carter won in the post-Watergate era. Clinton won in 92 because of Perot. JFK was certainly no populist.

Perhaps in a downturn a protectionist could win. But then again the coffee house Volvo buying yuppies who compose the new left would shit their pants if they had to put their mouths where their money is and buy a Pontiac or Chevy.

#23     Feb 26, 2006

4. What reasonably plausible scenarios might cause Republicans to lose the White House in 08 in your opinion?

#24     Feb 26, 2006
  5. COOL! Maybe they can share cell's w/ all the Clinton's friends and partners in Little Rock.

#25     Feb 26, 2006
  6. Yes I agree. My first choice would be the heads of large corporate GOP donors who received no-bid contracts and knowingly sent Defective body armor. Also one would like to investigate instances of war profiteering and the individuals who pushed to give these corrupt corporations the no-bid contracts.

Quote from jzlucas:

COOL! Maybe they can share cell's w/ all the Clinton's friends and partners in Little Rock.

#26     Feb 26, 2006
  7. Pabst

Pabst

If the war drags on......

#27     Feb 26, 2006
  8. Gore in 2000. No, he did not become president, let's say he lost on a technicality but he did have more people going to the polls to vote for him, including in Florida. The point is it's quite possible for a populist to win, the supreme court, little brother and Katherine Harris will not always come to the rescue.

Nonsense, Clinton won in 92 because of Bush (Senior).

Exit polls showed that Perot's voters apparently split their preferences between Clinton and Bush nearly equally, although approximately a third of them likely would not have voted without him on the ballot.
    http://www.fairvote.org/plurality/perot.htm

DIONNE (11/12/92): In House races, Perot voters split down the middle: 51 percent said they backed Republicans, 49 percent backed Democrats. In the presidential contest, 38 percent of Perot supporters said they would have supported Clinton if Perot had not been on the ballot and 37 percent said they would have supported Bush.
    http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh062905.html

[​IMG]

#28     Feb 26, 2006
  9. I figured out why hillary is so mad all the time.....John McCain.....he smokes her in 08......

#29     Feb 26, 2006
  10. Starting yesterday afternoon, there has been a lot on Drudge about Rove and Bush on Hillary. Rove calls her brittle. :D They are poking at her. Perhaps trying to get her to wig.

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FEB 26, 2006 17:21:05 ET XXXXX

BUSH, ROVE SAY HILLARY WILL WIN DEM PRIMARY -- BUT LOSE GENERAL ELECTION

**World Exclusive**

President Bush and his top strategist, Karl Rove, say Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton will be tough to beat in the Democratic presidential primaries of 2008 -- but not in the general election!

MORE

Reporter Bill Sammon, who joins the WASHINGTON EXAMINER as Senior White House Correspondent, is set to launch his new book, STRATEGERY.

In the Book, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned, Rove is quoted on the-record and is unleashed on Hillary:

There is a “brittleness about her” that could prove a weakness in November 2008.

But Rove added that the “hard-driving” Clinton will easily vanquish Democratic primary rivals like New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, who are merely “preening for the vice presidential slot.”

President Bush cautioned that Hillary Clinton should not be underestimated.

“She is a smart person, and obviously has got a lot of experience,” the president said in an exclusive interview for the book STRATEGERY, which is being published Monday. “It is helpful, to a certain extent, to have seen the presidency and presidential campaigns firsthand.”

MORE

Clinton was a key adviser to her husband Bill in his two successful presidential campaigns. During her eight years as First Lady and five years as a U.S. senator, she has become a political force unto herself.

“I think Hillary Clinton will be a formidable candidate,” Bush said. “And I don’t know the inner workings of the Democrat primary that much, but she will be a formidable candidate in the Democrat primary, is what I meant.”

MORE

Rove agreed in a question-and-answer session in his West Wing office for STRATEGERY, which is based on exclusive, lengthy interviews with Bush, Cheney and their top advisers. The third in a series of NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers chronicling this unlikely yet historic presidency, STRATEGERY is the most comprehensive, behind-the-scenes account of Bush’s narrow reelection and the tumultuous 14 months that followed.

“She is the dominant player on their side of the slate,” Rove said of Clinton. “Anybody who thinks that she’s not going to be the candidate is kidding themselves.”

But he added that New York Democrat is sometimes too cautious and “philosophically very liberal,” despite recent efforts to appear moderate.

Bush vowed to refrain from anointing a GOP successor, saying: “I won’t be involved in picking.” Still, he had praise for his brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who insists he is not running for president.

“He’s a wonderful person who has got a great record as governor,” Bush said in the Oval Office interview. “And most of the presidents have come from the governor’s ranks because they have shown the capacity to set agendas and get results and administer.

“Should he say that ‘I’m interested,’ I think he would be a formidable candidate,” he added. “But he has said he’s not interested, and I think he means that.”

The president also lauded another Republican who professes no interest in succeeding him - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

“She’s a remarkable woman,” he said. “But, again, I think you’ve got to take her for her word.”

Although the president’s name will never appear on another ballot, he said he wants Republicans to keep winning elections.

“We should be the party in power because we’ve got ideas,” he said. “As opposed to a party that’s against everything, we’re for things.”

Bush pointed out that Vice President Dick Cheney’s plan to retire after finishing his term would leave the 2008 presidential election “wide open” to candidates from both parties. The president noted that for the first time in 52 years, the field of hopefuls would not include an incumbent president or vice president.

“Isn’t that interesting?” he marveled. “It may mean all bets are off.”

According to Bush, the nominees from both parties would be wise to avoid making their campaigns about the past. He believes that was his father’s mistake in 1992, when the elder President Bush tried to coast to reelection after vanquishing Saddam Hussein in the first Gulf War.

“Any campaign,” the son reflected, “that says, ‘Look at what I did,’ is going to fail.”

Calling the 2004 campaign “the last fling of my life,” he added: “The only reason to look back is to be able to justify what I am going to do. You’ve got to be thinking forward.”

Still, Bush’s 2004 campaign manager, Ken Mehlman, drew useful lessons from the previous presidential contest.

“Let me tell you the best thing that ever happened to us -- the recount in 2000,” he said in a STRATEGERY interview. “It steeled everybody. It put the fear of God in us.

“One of the things that I firmly believe in life is that success is more dangerous than near failure,” he added. “Because when you fear failure, you’re hungrier, you’re tougher, you’re smarter, you make more strategic decisions, and you never take a moment for granted.”

Rove said he expects the Democrats to be hungry in 2008, since they will have been out of the White House for eight years. He predicted that Clinton will draw on her extensive campaign experience in her bid for the presidency.

“She has seen what the job requires,” he said. “And she has been through six gubernatorial campaigns, two presidential campaigns, and then two senatorial campaigns in a big, industrial state. So she will be a formidable campaigner. She’ll be sure-footed.”

Rove hinted that Clinton, who has been somewhat cautious since election to the Senate in 2000, may find that Americans sometimes want boldness from their president.

“For somebody who is philosophically very liberal, she’ll be a very cautious candidate at times,” he said. “That cautiousness will serve her well a lot of times — not always, but a lot of times.

“For example, her cautiousness had her vote for the Iraq war,” he said. “Her cautiousness has led her to do things to sort of try to position herself as a centrist.”

Asked to describe Clinton’s weaknesses, Rove said, “her personal philosophy and her brittleness about her.”

He added: “The question people will ask is, do we want to have her as president? And the answer to that will be determined in part by how she conducts herself. But it will also be settled in part by who the Republican nominee is and how he or she conducts themselves.”

As for the 2006 congressional elections, Rove was upbeat.

“Republicans will keep the House, Republicans will keep the Senate,” he predicted. “The question is, what will be the margin? Will we gain a couple of seats? Will we lose a couple of seats? Will we lose more than a couple seats? I’m frankly very optimistic.”

Developing...

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Filed By Matt Drudge

#30     Feb 27, 2006