GOP Lawmaker Says Country ‘Being Run by Idiots’

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Jan 20, 2018.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) blasted Congress on Friday as a government funding deadline approached, slamming the government as being “run by idiots,” The Hill reports.

Said Kennedy: “Our country was founded by geniuses, but it’s being run by idiots.”

Another of Kennedy’s colleagues, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), made similar remarks on the Senate floor, saying that the Senate has “some really stupid people.”

2. That is an interesting logical syllogism: If the Senator is right, it is a truthful statement. If he is wrong, it is least a partially truthful statement because then he would be at least of one the idiots.

Since the Republicans have the majority, is he not basically calling his own party idiots?

He is an idiot for not realizing that and has created at least a partially self-fulfilling statement.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  3. exGOPer

exGOPer

He is not the brightest but he is an old school Republican, he is referring to the current breeds of 'tea party' Republicans. Think Cotton, Ernst.

4. What is your opinion of the current depth of talent on both sides of the isle versus previous generations of politicians?

Who, if anyone, you would consider currently to be a great statesman? Great statesmen is a term I have not heard in a long time.

5. exGOPer

exGOPer

Smart republicans are being driven out by the rabid primary base which goes for the most vile. See Alabama where Strange was overrun by Moore supporters. In a few years, it's only going to get worse.

On the Dem side, I like Sherrod Brown, Ron Wyden and Angus King (who is Independent)

6. Thanks for info. Will lookup the names you gave.

We so need our politicians to be competent and put the needs of their constituents ahead of any preconceived party agenda.

exGOPer likes this.
  7. exGOPer

exGOPer

8. The idiots are people who believe there's a demonstrable difference between the two parties.

Arnie and jem like this.
  9. Sherrod Brown, his wife, and Ron Wyder appear to be substantial people. They generally base their positions on rational analysis and will side with the Republicans where similiar conclusions are reached on a particular issue.

Although I’m personally an opponent of many of their positions, I respect them and feel they generally fulfill their obligations to their constituents.

Thank you again for these names. They give me encouragement that our political system is not as hopeless as it appears.

exGOPer likes this.
  10. jem

jem

neither the democrats or the republicans give the people in 10 percent of what would be best for their constituents. They are all sellouts to the people who have money.

Hatch has been in the Senate the longest of republican ever and he has accomplished virtually zero, zip, nada nothing. Talk about lack of leadership. Really not only can I not think of anything... if you look his wasted life up on wikipedia it says he pushed for balanced budgets. (he really led the way on that.)

if you take a look at his accomplishment section it looks almost as weak as hillary clintons...
    if you read it pretty much adds up to zero...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orrin_Hatch

#10     Jan 20, 2018