GOP candidate: Hitler invented separation of church and state

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Christine O'Donnell isn't the only Delaware Tea Party candidate making waves.

The seat in the House of Representatives currently held by Republican Mike Castle -- who was defeated by O'Donnell in Tuesday's Senatorial primary -- is also up for grabs. The Republican primary for that office was won by Tea Partier Glen Urquhart, and it turns out that his political positions may be even more unique than O'Donnell's.

"Do you know, where does this phrase 'separation of church and state' come from?" Urquhart asked at a campaign event last April. "It was not in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists. ... The exact phrase 'separation of Church and State' came out of Adolph Hitler’s mouth, that's where it comes from. So the next time your liberal friends talk about the separation of Church and State ask them why they’re Nazis."

"My jaw dropped when I heard it," rival candidate Kevin Wade told Delaware Online. "And he was emphatic about it -- it was not like a slip of the tongue. He got applause from half the crowd, and that disturbed me. I'd say half the room was stunned and the other half applauded."

According to Delaware Online, "Urquhart says the statement was taken out of context and that he did not explain his point very well. If he could do it over, he said, he would add more historical context and explain why he rejects Hitler's take on the relationship between government and the church."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/09/gop-candidate-hitler-church-state/

2. I thought it was garbage until I watched the video.

3. <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kh4xhem8tM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kh4xhem8tM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

4. Well...not the EXACT phrase. I mean since Hitler didnt speak English.

5. hitler was a twisted christian. It's particularly interesting the he outlawed atheist and freethought groups in 1933.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/08/list_of_hitler_quotes_he_was_q.php

"Today Christians ... stand at the head of [this country]... I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity .. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit ... We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the *poison of immorality* which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of *liberal excess* during the past ... (few) years."

[The Speeches of Adolph Hitler, 1922-1939, Vol. 1 (London, Oxford University Press, 1942), pg. 871-872]

For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only for their wages wretchedness and misery. When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people are plundered and exposed."

[Adolf Hitler, speech in Munich on April 12, 1922, countering a political opponent, Count Lerchenfeld, who opposed antisemitism on his personal Christian feelings. Published in "My New Order", quoted in Freethought Today April 1990]

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so"

[Adolph Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941]

"Even today I am not ashamed to say that, overpowered by stormy enthusiasm, I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time."

[Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", Vol. 1, Chapter

"ATHEIST HALL CONVERTED

Berlin Churches Establish Bureau to Win Back Worshippers

Wireless to the New York Times.

BERLIN, May 13. - In Freethinkers Hall, which before the Nazi resurgence was the national headquarters of the German Freethinkers League, the Berlin Protestant church authorities have opened a bureau for advice to the public in church matters. Its chief object is to win back former churchgoers and assist those who have not previously belonged to any religious congregation in obtaining church membership.

The German Freethinkers League, which was swept away by the national revolution, was the largest of such organizations in Germany. It had about 500,000 members ..."

[New York Times, May 14, 1933, page 2, on Hitler's outlawing of atheistic and freethinking groups in Germany in the Spring of 1933, after the Enabling Act authorizing Hitler to rule by decree]

6. Picaso

Picaso

Well, in a way you could say that, just as you could say that Stalin was a Catholic (he studied at a seminar with the view of becoming a priest) and pro-life (he outlawed abortion) or that Sadam Hussein was a Muslim, but clearly none of these bastards had any genuine or sincere religious beliefs and at some point (before in some cases, later in others) made their contempt for religion and their lack of belief in god, heaven, etc. clear. Just as many priests, preachers, rabbis, etc. stopped believing long ago, but carry on pretending (how are they going to make a living otherwise).

As for this Hitler guy, I don't see how anyone can be surprised by now, considering this is the same group of people who think that Obama is a at the same time a Jew and a Nazi, an interracial child and a racist, etc.

Also many Americans seem to think that freedom of religion means that you can be a Baptist or a Methodist or a Presbyterian and even grudgingly will accept that you can be a Catholic or a Jew (provided you keep your distance), but that you have to believe in the Bible. So no room for Muslims or Atheists (or Hindus, or Sikhs, or Buddhists, etc.).