Google Sheets, Named Ranges

Discussion in 'App Development' started by themickey, Jul 14, 2022.

1. themickey

themickey

upload_2022-7-15_10-13-7.png

How can I easily, quickly, have stock codes from any named range I choose go into cells in columns L, N, P ?
    This pic above for example reasons only just to illustrate, because I have in fact 18 named ranges with a total of 90 stocks, I want to be able to juggle different named ranges with their stock codes into various cells spread throughout a large spreadsheet.
    I've never used named ranges before, so experimenting.
    If possible, I want to be able to input some value in one cell only to change all the sector code / named range results in all the orange cells.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  2. I'm not sure whether I understand your question correctly. Am I correct in that you want to have a pull-down menu list in cell L1 (the blue cell), to select one of the blue cells F/G/H from row #12 (i.e. Lithium, Iron Ore, Uranium)? And then have columns L, N and P populated with the tickers as specified in the box, columns F, G, H?
    So if you change the selection in cell L1 all other cells in L, N and P adjust automatically?

3. themickey

themickey

I want all cells in columns L N P to be populated by any one of the named ranges from row 8.
    So all columns of L N P will be all Lithium or iron ore or Uranium, not a mixture.
    :)

4. Okay, understood.
    I assume that the number of stocks per named range is not identical? For example: Lithium has 4 tickers, Iron Ore 7 and Uranium 3? Such unequal length per named range could make it a bit more complicated to automate. If all has the same number of stocks you have one less variable degree.

5. themickey

themickey

Hi Hobby, I'm going to keep identical numbers of stocks under each range name.